Appraisal Request CM Kreider 5 strip 8 ft 4 1/2 oz

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

loosepuck

Appraisal Request CM Kreider 5 strip 8 ft 4 1/2 oz

Post by loosepuck »

Howdy
I have recently become the caretaker of a Claude Kreider made rod. I am interested in a value for it and may consider selling it. It was originally made for a family member of his George McClaren. I will list the required criterion below. Any questions please ask. Any info you may have or a value would be great.

(1) 8 ft. The length of the rod when assembled
(2) 3 piece the number of pieces that make up the rod
(3) YES. if it comes with a second tip
(4)YES. are all the rod sections the same length
(5) GRADE 8. There two items I noted, shown in the pix. A 1 revolution unravel of the tip thread. The cork handle has a couple small divots. general condition use the conditon grading system listed below
(6) C.M. Kreider
5-STRIP. 8 FT. 4 1/2 OZ.
GEORGE C MCCLAREN JULY 1-55 any information that is writen on the rod or stamped in the reel seat
(7) IT COMES IN A TUBE CALLED THE SIERRA AND A PRETTY SHREDDED BAG, NOT LABELEDif it comes in a labeled bag and tube.

Thank you to all for your info

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: Appraisal Request CM Kreider 5 strip 8 ft 4 1/2 oz

Post by Pentalux »

loosepuck hello,
Interesting looking rod. The sock is likely original as that was the style he provided with the ties coming from the top right corner of the bag when open. I have one of his 5-strips with the exact same bag as yours and a six-strip with a red sock but also same design. Tube may well be what it came in.

The challenge with pricing his rods is that he didn't have a standard grade or series of models that help grade and define the rod and thus value. Claude would build rods to fit any budget. He reportedly would even take used ferrules from a clients old rod or as provided (often not matching) and use them on a "new" rod. He also made some absolutely gorgeous pieces with excellent metal and thread work (variegated with red tipping, olive with red tipping, etc) as well as finish. The ferrules on this rod are somewhat curious looking as most five-strip Kreider's have Super-Z stamped ferrules and the ferrule stations are very smooth looking - hard to tell but looks like the cane may have been slightly over cut on this one.

The seat on your rod is commonly found on many of his rods (it was considered super modern at the time) as is the hammer grip design (have the same on my five-strip) but he also made superb nickel silver cap and ring over wood inserts as well as stainless ferrules with beryllium slides.

Hoping one of our resident appraisers can help you more with price as to me it looks like it was originally made to a lower price point as the cane work, ferrules, basic threads and general finish seem to indicate. IF had to estimate, would say high value in $400-500 range but knowing its line weight might help that.

loosepuck

Re: Appraisal Request CM Kreider 5 strip 8 ft 4 1/2 oz

Post by loosepuck »

Hi Pentalux

Thanks for the great info. It gives me better insight into where this rod fits into the pantheon of fly rods. I looked at the ferrules and they do indeed say SUPER Z. They have a nice gold finish where they attach to the cane. Is the green corrosion? Can I remove it back to the lustrous gold underneath?

How would I find out its line weight? I am surprised it is not somewhere on this rod.

Thanks again for the great info.

Greg

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”