Boswell fishing pipe

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Boswell fishing pipe

Post by prairieschooner »

Well, after years of looking I finally found one. It's unsmoked and really is lovely - a "shotgun shell" model with the bezel between shank and bit made of shotshell brass (nickel in this case). I paid more than I wanted to, but hey...

Now for the BUTS... when it arrived I was troubled by a couple things. 1) The bit is fixed and not turnable nor removable, and I see future issues: trouble cleaning the pipe, replacing a broken bit, etc. Hard to understand why the maker felt it necessary to construct it so. 2) the lanyard is permanently fixed, set in a hole in the briar under the edge of the shotshell. Also it's on the underside of the shank which causes the pipe to hang upside down on the lanyard. The other Boswells I've see had the lanyard in a groove around the shank and the lanyard is adjustable and removable, and since I was already making plans for replacing the nylon cord lanyard with something classier, that was a disappointment.

So, after a lot of soul-searching, back it went. The seller is a nice fellow and a brother pipe smoker and fisherman who had bought the pipe for himself and decided to sell it for the same reasons I've listed above. So, back on the trail; will be interesting to see if my interest for owning one was sated even though our time together was brief...
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Tellumnothing
Guide

Re: Boswell fishing pipe

Post by Tellumnothing »

WOW,THAT IS A REAL KEEPER👍. You won't even have to "catch" a fish to make it a wonderful outing with that one in your mouth. Congratulations Prairie!
Tellumnothing

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

OOPPS. DIDN't read it all. So sorry 😥

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

That is a handsome pipe. I know you already returned this one, but wonder if you contacted Boswell would they either modify a pipe or build one like it to your specs?

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Boswell will make you one to your specs. I had shot shell pipe made to mine.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Thanks all. Guess I could contact them. Frankly it was sort of an impulse grab; with a rack of pipes. many of which don't get the attention they deserve, the last thing I need is another pipe. But as we know, when it comes to shotguns, fly rods, pipes et all, need has nothing to do with it :) !
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”