Dickerson 8014

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Phil13
Guide

Dickerson 8014

Post by Phil13 »

For my fifth rod , I am making the Dickerson 8014(1951) taper.
Would anyone have suggestions and/or actual dimensions for the cork grip? Also, I will most likely purchase a down locking reel seat.
I am not interested in being “historically correct “, but compared to the lighter line weight rods I’ve made, this one must have a longer grip and heavier reel seat hardware.
I will use a 7 wgt. line for battling the smallmouth on the Shenandoah River in Virginia.
Any info is appreciated.
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenwey4534
Guide

Re: Dickerson 8014

Post by kenwey4534 »

My thoughts on fly rod grips are that they need to fit your hand rather than the the rod

https://weymouthrodworks.com/bamboo-fly ... rod-grips/

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

i have found a 7" reverse half wells w/ a aluminum payne style uplocking screwlock seat from proof flyfishing has worked well on deshutes for steelhead and 20" trout for my 51 8014

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Our own Mainiac has an *excellent* website with tons of information and pictures of Dickerson rods.
You can view pictures of real 8014s and count the cork rings to get length and get ideas for shape.
I would offer a guess that the largest diameter on an 8014 grip would be just over one inch.

https://dickersonrods.com/

Brian

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”