Bloxygen

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Teborods
Guide

Bloxygen

Post by Teborods »

Hi gentlemen, Question. How long should bloxygen last in a dip tube. 3 inch dip tube and 2 1/2 inches space at the top. starting to become a issue. thank you Tebo

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Re: Bloxygen

Post by GrayHackleRods »

In an airtight container it should last indefinitely, so the question is how air tight is your drip tube? I would think that if you don’t use the tube very often it would be advisable to top off the Bloxygen every couple of weeks or once a month.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

Teborods,

I dipped a couple of one piece rods in a long pvc tube about 9-10 years ago now and as of this winter the varnish (unthinned Man-O-War) was still good with no skim on the surface. This was/is the last of my 1983 varnish. I had pvc male and female fittings on the ends. I transferred the varnish into a smaller tube this winter to dip couple of rods and I'm finding a skin on the surface. Plus I have varnish in other 5' tubes that I have had success with.
Great stuff that Bloxygen. Just make sure your seal is tight. Can't seem to have the same success with the smaller bottles that I use for wraps,though.

Willis

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

As far as airtight goes a threaded metal cap on sweated fittings tightened up with a wrench and sealed over with adhesive metal tape seems to work pretty well for me.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I used it, it didn't work, but this does:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=113432&p=802800&hi ... sh#p802800

Jay Edwards

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Thank you gentlemen. Haven’t had any issues in 3 yrs. all of a sudden I’m getting a skin coat every other day. I’ll keep you all informed if I find the magic answer. Thank you again Tebo

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Update. After one day. I’ve had skin before, but this is jello underneath the skin. Has my varnish gone bad. It’s in a controlled environment. AC garage. Would this be some kind of contamination. Has any of you gentlemen ever experienced anything like this before. Thank you now hope all is well Tebo

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

It's started to go bad. You might get away with using filling the bottom half of a new tube with your varnish after straining, but I would go with all new varnish.

What are you using for a top. I've found these (the Oatey grippers), with bloxygen, gives years of life:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Gripp ... lsrc=aw.ds

--Rich

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Thank you for the link. I like the look of those tops. That was after one day with bloxygen and it was the same after one day with out bloxygen. Tens day it was two inches thick. Can’t imagine what’s at the bottom of my dip tube. My top was coffee filter, plastic wrap. I would burp it by pushing down then install pvc top. I could leave it for more than two months or more and never have an issue. The varnish is Helmsman, it’s less than a year old. Could there be a reaction with the PVC tube after ten or so years. Thank you gentlemen. For you input. I’ll post a picture after I strain it. Tebo

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, The definition of insanity..... you know doing the same thing and getting the same result.

Hi Guys, To simplify, neoprene is your friend......... I do a bunch of stuff before I get started varnishing, but what I do has nothing to do with hardening varnish. Since I changed my dip tube set up more than 15 years ago I haven't changed the varnish, I only added when needed, and I have never opened the tube to find a 'skim.' I don't fill the tube to the top. In fact there is quite a space to the top of the varnish. I use a neoprene seal with a lid clamped to the top. That's it.... no skim! I have done and do quite a lot of varnishing. My last varnishing was seven made rods, and several restored rods, so more than twenty sections hanging at a time. When I did more, years ago, I'd have thirty + sections hanging. Neoprene works......

Edit: I use Pratt & Lambert 61....

Jay Edwards

Edit: Maybe making a proper dip tank is too much trouble, but then ask; Is making a proper bamboo rod too much trouble?

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Well, I never seen varnish do that before. It was a coagulated mess. Pictures would not of done it justice. I sealed it up one last time with bloxygen and still got skin and jello underneath. So,I’m starting new everything. Thanks gentlemen. Tebo

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Those Oatey gripper plugs that Rich mentioned are great. They work very well.
After I am done dipping rod sections and before I seal the tube back up, I will take the plug apart and turn over the rubber seal before I reinstall it.
It helps keep the rubber seal from getting too deformed....and it makes me feel a little better about the seal.

Brian

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

I have two on order as we speak.Thank you for the tip.I always like to have a back up when ordering. I’m a long way from everything. Thank you all again. Tebo

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

I have used those plugs and still get a skim on top. Varnish is probably 4 to 5 years old. I ran out of Bloxygen and have not bought any new yet. I just drained my tube and rinsed it out with mineral spirits, after shaking tube back and forth for a little while I dumped the mineral spirits into can of Helmsman and stirred it up. I have used that for wraps so far and no skim on top. I'm making a new tube and will start with fresh varnish.
Fred

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”