Orvis Casting Rod Tip?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Reelsnrods

Orvis Casting Rod Tip?

Post by Reelsnrods »

Good day. I was hoping for an opinion on this Orvis rod tip. It’s labeled “Orvis Impregnated” and “3/4oz 29708”. Obviously an Orvis and the 29708 being the serial number. It’s heavier built than a fly rod tip (especially for a 3/4wt), and has what I consider a casting or boat rod tip that all looks original. Measures 57” long. I did look through the serial number index posted online, but she’s not in there. Thank you for any thoughts on it!

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Casting Rod Tip?

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Serial number 29708 was made in April or May of 1961. It's a bait casting tip for 3/4-oz plugs. You're just missing the removable handle, which attached makes a 6-foot rod.

From the 1961 catalog:

The rod will appear in the July database update.

Reelsnrods

Re: Orvis Casting Rod Tip?

Post by Reelsnrods »

Thanks so much! I couldn’t find any bait-casters online, but that makes the most sense. I appreciate the help! Now to find a handle:)

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”