Chota STL Wading Boots

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Chota STL Wading Boots

Post by billems »

I'm now on my fourth season of fishing these boots with no sign or wear on either the boots or the laces. I own the fake felt soles with the screw in studs. The speed laces on these things are a wonder; stick your foot in and pull about sums up getting these boots off and on. The durabilty bests every other boot I've owned. And at $199.00...well, I didn't go wrong.

https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/produc ... ding-boots

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Re: Chota STL Wading Boots

Post by JoeBolt »

Nice value & design. Can you talk a bit about sizing? If I'm a 10 1/2, I presume I'd order the 11s...

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Yes, these are very good boots. I've used my pair pretty hard for 5 years; they have held up very well but are showing their age. Unfortunately the size 10's I need have been out of stock for over a year and the company says they have no idea when they will have them again.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

My felt soles started coming off after a year of light fishing, the uppers were still mint. They wanted me to pay for new soles and I’ve since switched to other brands, mainly because they didn’t back their product.

LeoCreek
Sport

Post by LeoCreek »

I contacted Chota directly ~ 5 months ago asking when they might have the STL boots back in stock in size 11, or if they knew of any of their dealers that might have this size in stock. I was advised that their STL model boots have been discontinued and are no longer being produced, and that I should consider their other current models. I love the fit and durability of my old pair, and this was sad news to me.

According to their website, they still show sizes 6, 7, 8, 9, 14 and 15 available. If any of these are your size, and you are a Chota STL fan, you may want to pick up a pair before they are history.

A sign of the times...

afried
Sport

Post by afried »

I have three pairs of Chotas - felt, studded felt and studded rubber. (Don't recall the model names attached to each pair but I think at least one of them is STL.) Since my usage gets spread out among the different pairs I can't really speak to long term durability, but I think they're great boots. To me the most important thing is they fit my feet, with the quick lace system being a welcome bonus. I was glad to discover them after too many years of boots with less than great fit. My Chotas are size 12, while my normal shoe size is 11 sometimes going to a wide fitting. But that's just my feet, others will vary.

Andy

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

I use to favor the STLs. Agree that they are very durable. But the boot did become somewhat heavy when the leather absorbed water. Also, I found that they shrink after some use. Make sure that you condition the leather. I use to have to soak them with water to get them on. After, I could no longer get the last pair on, I bought a pair off the auction site for a good deal. Evidently the pair was one of their early designs and the felt delaminated from the rest of the boot after about three outings. Called Chota and they told me that they could not repair them but they did offer to sale me one of their new models for a discount.

I now wear the Simms Flyweights. I doubt they will last as long as the STLs but they are much more comfortable. I’m willing to pay for the comfort.

Eric

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I find the opposite, I have owned 3 pairs of Simm and my Choda STLs and much more comfortable. Have not noticed any shrinkage in the year of use. I do give them a coating of mink oil once a year. Keeps them supple. Only boots that are a joy to get in and out of. As a senior, that's a bonus.

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

Silver Doctor wrote:
05/19/22 19:35
I find the opposite, I have owned 3 pairs of Simm and my Choda STLs and much more comfortable. Have not noticed any shrinkage in the year of use. I do give them a coating of mink oil once a year. Keeps them supple. Only boots that are a joy to get in and out of. As a senior, that's a bonus.
Definitely keep applying the mink oil. That should really help with the shrinkage and the water weight gain. Have you tried the Simms Flyweights?

Eric

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I have run the full gambit with wading boots over the years. I have found that the Chota IMHO are by far the most comfortable. The other great thing is they don't have to go through a break in period!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Wow, sounds like the company doesn't back their products well. Too bad. Yes, the one caveat with the STLs is that the leather adds weight when wet. The make a synthetic boot of the same style that is supposed to be much lighter. The guy who asked about sizing...I would try and find a place where you can try them on with a neoprene sock. My foot is an 8 1/2 and I have a sz 9 in the STLs.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”