Hardy 3" St George MkI with No Spool Holes?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

thomasrodco
Sport

Hardy 3" St George MkI with No Spool Holes?

Post by thomasrodco »

Question for the early Hardy experts.
Has anyone ever seen a 3" MkI St George with no spool vent holes??
My first thought was that the spool was not original, but the manufacturing stamp on the back side matches the marks on the inside of the reel, so I know at least it started as the original spool. The 3 screw latch looks correct, although the rivets are a little rounded over.
I can't imagine anyone taking the time to replace the face of a damaged/bent spool rather than just having a new one made, but ?
Any thoughts??

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy 3" St George MkI with No Spool Holes?

Post by quashnet »

I'm unable to see the photos, and I wish I could. This sounds really interesting.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

Hmm, strange I can see them and enlarge them as well.

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

quashnet wrote:
05/19/22 19:02
I'm unable to see the photos, and I wish I could. This sounds really interesting.
I just PM'd the same photos to you

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Sorry, it's evident that I need to update my browser. I can see the photos, using a different browser. That is certainly a curious reel...
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Welp, that's a bit unusual for sure. Certainly Hardy made, on request, solid spools for perforated models. You can find images online of multiple models. Agree that the filled or rounded over rivets are atypical. The handle is doubtful original as most of these model sported the "chewing gum" handle that sometimes disintegrated over time, so that is probably a replacement. I'm curious about the spool itself. What are the dark patches on the spool face if you know? It almost looks like brass underneath a silver finish, or maybe just brown paint? The frame looks a like it may have some surface issues (compared to the back) while the spool does not and seems to have quite a different appearance. Or it could be that the spool had a bright finish the frame has what remains of a leaded finish. Hmmm.
Last edited by cdmoore on 05/20/22 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

cdmoore wrote:
05/19/22 22:31
Welp, that's a bit unusual for sure. Certainly Hardy made, on request, solid spools for perforated models. You can find images online of multiple models. Agree that the filled or rounded over rivets are atypical. The handle is doubtful original as most of these model sported the "chewing gum" handle that sometimes disintegrated over time, so that is probably a replacement. I'm curious about the spool itself. What are the dark patches on the spool face if you know? It almost looks like brass underneath a silver finish, or maybe just brown paint? The frame looks a like it may have some surface issues (compared to the back) while the spool does not and seems to have quite a different appearance. Hmmm.
Unfortunately, the reel is not in hand yet, but I think the red'ish marks on the spool are paint.
I agree that the handle looks like an old replacement. The stud that the handle is on must be too? They are normally smooth on the end without a slot.
Once it gets here to the shop, I'll take a close look and reply again.

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

This could be a very Interesting reel even with just a few touch ups.

I would question a few different thing, nothing out of the realm that all of us are knowledgeable about. However, something such as patina comparisons could simply be a matter of the camera and lighting from the photos sent, or not. Better to wait to dissect it once in hand if a good deal was made on an altered ( by way of handle grasp, handle post, handle grasp cup doesn’t look present, but could be) and go from there.

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

ReelPatina wrote:
05/20/22 09:16
This could be a very Interesting reel even with just a few touch ups.

I would question a few different thing, nothing out of the realm that all of us are knowledgeable about. However, something such as patina comparisons could simply be a matter of the camera and lighting from the photos sent, or not. Better to wait to dissect it once in hand if a good deal was made on an altered ( by way of handle grasp, handle post, handle grasp cup doesn’t look present, but could be) and go from there.
That’s the plan. I have a feeling that the face of the spool has been replaced, along with the handle.
I can’t imagine why, but we’ll see.
If it is, I’ll probably ask Bill A if he’s interested in making a new spool face and handle for it.
I’ll report back once it arrives.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Spool latch cover foot and handle all appear incorrect and spool does not fit very well. The stamping obviously indicates the spool is original. Perhaps a prototype or training reel by an apprentice.

Never seen anything like it.

John

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

BigTJ wrote:
05/20/22 16:28
Spool latch cover foot and handle all appear incorrect and spool does not fit very well. The stamping obviously indicates the spool is original. Perhaps a prototype or training reel by an apprentice.

Never seen anything like it.

John
Not sure on the spool fit as I don't have the reel in hand yet, but the alloy reel foot and center latch(with the exception of the rounded rivets) are certainly consistent with the other MkI c1920 era 3" St. George reels I have seen. I do agree the handle is indeed a replacement for sure.
I think what I'll find when the reel gets here is that the face of the spool was replaced, and this "new" face was mounted to the original arbor, but I'm not sure if these early spools were made from 3 pieces, or cast as a 1pc spool? Obviously, if these spools were 1pc cast back at the beginning of the 3" St George series, then I don't know how that face place would be held on there if it wasn't original.

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

Here is a nearly identical example to compare the center latch and alloy foot. The handle on this one is a replacement as well.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

My mistake thanks for correcting it.

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

BigTJ wrote:
05/20/22 18:17
My mistake thanks for correcting it.
Not at all. I appreciate your input.
Steve

Return to “Classic Reels”