ID and Appraisal Chubb/Montague?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

ttroutt
Guide

ID and Appraisal Chubb/Montague?

Post by ttroutt »

Hi Everyone, I picked up this rod would appreciate help identifying it and get somewhat of an idea of its' current value. Butt and mid section measure 35.5" and the tip is down to 32.875". Has certainly been rewrapped and varnished and I don't believe the ferrules are original. There are no markings anywhere that I can find. My best guess, by the reel seat is either Chubb or Montague? I would live to find out the original color scheme and bring it back, somewhat to its' origins. If other photos are needed, please let me know.
Thanks, Jim.

Last edited by ttroutt on 05/22/22 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: ID and Appraisal Chubb/Montague?

Post by steeliefool »

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Steelie,
Not quite sure what you mean, the thread link points to a topic about a Monty bait caster.
Jim

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

The reelseat with the arrow. Same seat as yours and id'd as early Monty baitcaster.
So I'll bet your rod is a Monty.
Also appears that the rod was broken at the butt/mid ferrules, shortened, then referruled, hence the odd 35.5 length and the apparent slightly oversize ferrules compared to the cane.
Sorry but not worth much.
Last edited by steeliefool on 05/21/22 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Got it, the pics didn't load in my browser, but I agree that it is most likely a Monty. If Rex chimes in, maybe he or someone could give me a time period and a long shot a model.
Thanks, Jim.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Probably from the 30's and certainly not a Chubb with that later seat. As stated above, value is minimal.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”