Roger Angell

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Roger Angell

Post by St Vrain Angler »

You baseball fans might enjoy these articles--one by and one about Roger Angell, who died on Friday at 101. Trivia note: E.B. White was his stepfather.

"This Old Man": https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014 ... erge_scrub

"Remembering Roger Angell": https://www.newyorker.com/news/postscri ... erge_scrub

(Speaking of E.B. White...his son, Joel White, became one of the country's foremost designers of wooden boats. His attitude toward his boats might also apply to bamboo rod makers: ''He said that if a boat was scratched, that was part of using it. He was interested in form and how a boat performed.'')

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Roger Angell

Post by billems »

I love Roger's baseball books--especially "The Boys of Summer," about the Brooklyn Dodgers. The essay, "This Old Man" is a near masterpiece. I stand to turn 70 this summer, and Roger's essay has me prepared. He was a fine writer, fine author.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

He had a smooth, loping style to his writing. I looked forward to his summary of the baseball season every year.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

RIP, Roger, and thanks for all those years of immense enjoyment.

Kenneth

rhmill01
Sport

Post by rhmill01 »

The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”