Bob Lancaster G209-4?

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Bob Lancaster G209-4?

Post by G-ManBart »

Hey all,

I just bought a minty Bob Lancaster rod made back in 1995 that has me a bit confused. Unfortunately, he's no longer with us so I can't ask him about it. The rod is 7'6" marked for 5/6 line and 2/2 configuration. It had plastic on the cork when I got it, and it may have never been fished going off what I'm seeing. It's marked G209-4 and the G209 part suggests a standard Garrison 209, but it's not 4-piece or a quad variation on the taper. Any ideas?

I will say it's beautifully made and I really like the way it casts. I can also see why so many people said his work was among the best bargains out there and really under-appreciated by many!

Bugtussel
Guide

Re: Bob Lancaster G209-4?

Post by Bugtussel »

The Bob Lancaster I knew making bamboo fly rods has not passed. Unless this just happened. And this does not look like anything I have seen by Bob. Bob's rods from the 90's and today still look much the same. Do you have pics of the grip, ferrules, and tips?

I guess it is possible that there have been 2 R. Lancasters. A search showed another G209 by a Lancaster. This one being from Indiana I guess. So not the same I know of from the 90's to today.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

The Bob Lancaster talked about on the forum over the years is very much still with us. Talked with him last week..

This rod does not look like any of his RW Lancaster rods I have seen, nor is it signed with his typical hand lettered signature. “RW Lancaster”

So, it’s likely a Lancaster, but not a rod by RW Lancaster of PA/MD, maker of Young style rods.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Thanks guys, you pointed me in the right direction. It seems there was an R Lancaster making rods in Indiana who has passed, and that's what I have rather than an RW Lancaster. I saw the threads mentioning RW Lancaster possibly not making rods any more and assumed he had passed...glad to hear I was wrong!

I thought I stole an RW Lancaster, but it turns out I got a really good deal on an R Lancaster....that's not all bad! I'm really impressed with how it casts, and it seems to very nicely made so I'm more than happy with the purchase. I don't think I could buy one of the Chinese imported rods for what I paid so it's win-win.

I'll add a couple of pictures in case someone down the road is looking for info on R Lancaster rods.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”