Just signed up for Oyster class

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

3wtdoctor

Just signed up for Oyster class

Post by 3wtdoctor »

I got an email last night that a spot had come available this fall and after approving with the wife am attending the Bill Oyster rod making class this September. I'm really excited about this. Now I have to decide what to build!! My Sweetgrass should be here soon (my first bamboo rod) and is a 4/5 Pent. I'm trying to decide if I want a shorter 3 wt for small streams or a 9' 6/7 to fish on my Alabama rivers/creeks for smallmouth. I guess I have a few months to think about it...

John

KLNC
Guide

Re: Just signed up for Oyster class

Post by KLNC »

You will really enjoy that Oyster class. One of the best experiences a bamboo enthusiast could have, and you'll emerge with a rod you will treasure.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

3wtdoctor wrote:
05/24/22 09:11
I got an email last night that a spot had come available this fall and after approving with the wife am attending the Bill Oyster rod making class this September. I'm really excited about this. Now I have to decide what to build!! My Sweetgrass should be here soon (my first bamboo rod) and is a 4/5 Pent. I'm trying to decide if I want a shorter 3 wt for small streams or a 9' 6/7 to fish on my Alabama rivers/creeks for smallmouth. I guess I have a few months to think about it...

John
a great shop and school! blue ridge is fabulous, too. fishing is above average by a lot. if the train is still running, take the trip. i would suggest the nine foot rod for the inch for inch and pound for pound the fightingest fish that swims for you to obtain maximum enjoyment from your one off self artificed fly rod. it will require a hardy bros. perfect, approximately a 3 1/2 inch wide spool.

regards, jim w

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

My father and I took that class in 2016 and it was probably the best father/son experience we’ve ever had, beating out AK and Africa trips. Bill and his crew are great instructors and you’ll walk away with a beautiful rod. Besides the coffee and beer are always ready in the back!

winston59
Master Guide

Post by winston59 »

I think for learning experience and rod building the bigger rod would be the best choice. To start off on a 3wt could be problematic.

3wtdoctor

Post by 3wtdoctor »

So I’ve been told building a 9’ isn’t an option. I believe an 8’6” is max. Does anyone have suggestions for tapers to research in the coming months for a 6/7? My bamboo experience is certainly limited.

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

3wtdoctor wrote:
05/31/22 21:11
So I’ve been told building a 9’ isn’t an option. I believe an 8’6” is max. Does anyone have suggestions for tapers to research in the coming months for a 6/7? My bamboo experience is certainly limited.
Maybe take a look at the Dickerson 8615.

Here are a couple versions I quickly found by searching the internet:

http://www.canerod.com/rodmakers/tapers ... /8615.html

https://www.hexrod.net/Tapers/drtapers/ ... 102_7.html

Brian

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

If you aren't dead set on the need for an 8 1/2' rod, I would suggest you look at the Dickerson 8015 Guide or Guide Special. These are powerful rods that you can use to pick up heavier flies and shoot them out considerable distances.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

3wtdoctor

Post by 3wtdoctor »

Just got back from my class with Oyster and it was incredible. What a fantastic experience. I built an 8’ 7# (Bill’s taper) for warmwater around home here in Alabama. Just lawncast so far but love the feel. Can’t wait to get it out of the water!

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Very nice! You probably got the equivalent of a couple years worth of hands on learning there! Nothing beats having things explained and demonstrated in person.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Nice job on the rod. What a great way to build a first rod.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Beautiful build, adding this experience to my bucket list!

DarienJim

Post by DarienJim »

Hello everyone, I just joined this forum.

I am lucky that my wife gave me a gift to go build my first bamboo rod at Oyster Bamboo in Oct 2023.

I know next to nothing about bamboo rods and looking for help and decided on weight and taper which I understand I need to decide before going. Would be happy to connect via cell with anyone whom has gone to the class and can offer me some tips and insight.

As a matter of background, I have been fly fishing for 7 years, starting with freshwater and progressing to salt water. My preference now is salt water but probably 15-20% of my fly fishing is still fresh water. I have 25+ rods including spey rods from 3 wt. to 12 wt, all 9 foot rods except the spey rods. I already have a custom rod from Tom Morgan in 6 wt so thinking of not building that weight, but was thinking maybe another 5 or 7 wt. perhaps at a different length. Most of my freshwater fly fishing is Montana and Alaska now.

Where should i start my research (and of course I am very grateful for any insight and help.)

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

3wtdoctor wrote:
05/24/22 09:11
My Sweetgrass should be here soon (my first bamboo rod) and is a 4/5 Pent.

John
If it's the 8' er you'll really like it.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

DarienJim wrote:
08/03/23 09:42
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum.

I am lucky that my wife gave me a gift to go build my first bamboo rod at Oyster Bamboo in Oct 2023.

I know next to nothing about bamboo rods and looking for help and decided on weight and taper which I understand I need to decide before going. Would be happy to connect via cell with anyone whom has gone to the class and can offer me some tips and insight.

As a matter of background, I have been fly fishing for 7 years, starting with freshwater and progressing to salt water. My preference now is salt water but probably 15-20% of my fly fishing is still fresh water. I have 25+ rods including spey rods from 3 wt. to 12 wt, all 9 foot rods except the spey rods. I already have a custom rod from Tom Morgan in 6 wt so thinking of not building that weight, but was thinking maybe another 5 or 7 wt. perhaps at a different length. Most of my freshwater fly fishing is Montana and Alaska now.

Where should i start my research (and of course I am very grateful for any insight and help.)
I'd look into Lyle Dickerson's tapers. If you haven't fished a ton of bamboo and you're not exactly sure what you prefer, they're generally just easy casters without many quirks. The 7613 or 8013 are good 5 wts that are very popular. The 76 and 80 indicate the length- 7'6" and 8'0". This is kind of the sweet spot for that weight in bamboo. Bamboo is heavier than graphite so you don't find as many 9' 5wt tapers although they do exist. If you really prefer a 9' rod I'd go with an E.C. Powell "B" taper in 9'. There is a whole rabbit hole of tapers and rod design you can go down, so these are just to give you a general idea.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I’d ask Bill Oyster. Describe what you intend to use the rod and I’m sure he will have a time tested taper that will suit your needs.

You are better off with a rod taper and length that the maker is familiar with than something that you think will suit your style.

oldatheart
Guide

Post by oldatheart »

The rod looks great! As someone who had a mentor who unfortunately passed away early in my bamboo journey, I can attest that you've saved yourself so much time in trial and error. The majority of my learning has come through books, this forum, and most importantly, messing things up. If I could go back, I would've done something like a class.

You're going to have a blast with that 7wt, too.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”