What fly line is this?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

jonvand

What fly line is this?

Post by jonvand »

I bought an older fly reel for my fly rod and it has line on it. It measures out a little over 94 feet. It looks to be a weight forward floating line and the front tip area seems to be 6wt. It is a pale yellow color. I tried casting it on my Cortland graphite rod and it acts a lot like WF6F though not as "peppy" as my Cortland 444 WF6F. Thanks-John

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Re: What fly line is this?

Post by Cross Creek »

Orvis had a line of pale yellow lines for a while (made by Scientific Anglers). I don’t recall th model name, but I’m sure someone will chime in.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

They were called ‘Hy-Float’.
Period ranged from mid 1980’s to about mid 1990’s

jonvand

Post by jonvand »

Thanks, I also saw something by Cortland, 333 WF Floating? It was however on a Scientific Anglers reel. John

jonvand

Post by jonvand »

It seems to have 45 feet from the front tip to the rear taper than 49 feet of level line? It is definitely WF and definitely floating. I am currently in Florida, maybe it is a bass line or salt water? It seems to be 6 to 7 weight. John

jonvand

Post by jonvand »

It doesn't match for SA line, it looks almost exactly in proportions to Cortland 333. I get close to 43 feet from front to end of back taper, Cortland 333 is 41 feet from front to end of back taper according to their chart. Cortland 333 is yellow. Don't matter as I just cleaned it and have a braided loop on the way and will take it with me to New England to test it out on my 8 ft 6 in Cortland graphite rod. Also taking a 6ft 6in fiber glass rod with DT4F line for some fun in the small mountain streams for brookies. John

Return to “General discussion”