Hardy St John sizes?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Recidivist13
Guide

Hardy St John sizes?

Post by Recidivist13 »

There’s a St John for sale near me but not sure about info being correct. Says it’s a 5 7/8” , surely this is supposed to be 3 7/8”?
Also concerned about screws in the rim, are these an after market fix? These are the only photos so far.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy St John sizes?

Post by Caneghost »

Not a Hardy expert by any means, but my understanding was the St' John was made in only the one size, 3 7/8".

I checked "The Hardy Book of The Reel" by David Stanley which states the reel was originally offered in two drum sizes but one diameter. Intro 1923, end of production 1993. No 1 was the large drum which held a DT line without backing made through 1937, while No.2 was the smaller drum capable of holding a DT 8 F line and 100 yards of 27 pound backing. Both had the three screw latch until 1957 when the two screw latch was introduced. There was no mention of frame screws. Perhaps some of our collector/experts will be able to enlighten you on that. Lots of knowledge on this board.
Last edited by Caneghost on 06/04/22 05:11, edited 2 times in total.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I am no expert, but the add is probably a typo. As the OP pointed out, there appears to be a repair to the rim, otherwise, the reel appears to have a high level of finish, has the desirable 3 screw latch, and a retailers badge. If I were in the market for a reel of this size, and were able to handle the reel to observe that the repair is solid, I'd be willing to pay about $200 for such a reel. But, I wind with my left hand, so I would pass.

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

The St. John, what a nice reel. Mine is sweet reel and is 3 7/8, I never seen one in another sizing. Yours has a repair like said above. Back in the day if a nice reel was broken, the owner were search out a repairman or would send it back to Hardy. Nice reels were worth getting fixed. Yours looks like it might have traveled a bit, I bet it could tell some stories, eh. Cool old St. John, make room for it on the shelf..

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

The St. John, what a nice reel. Mine is a sweet reel and is 3 7/8, I have never seen one in another sizing. Yours has a repair like said above. Back in the day if a nice reel was broken, the owner were search out a repairman or would send it back to Hardy. Nice reels were worth getting fixed. Yours looks like it might have traveled a bit, I bet it could tell some stories, eh. Cool old St. John, make room for it on the shelf..

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I don't believe that the reel has a repair, or at least the screws are not part of a repair. If you look at the locations of the screws they are on both the front and back side of the reel in the same place. I believe the most likely reason for this is that it was fitted with some form of line guide that is not original. The positioning of the screws is identical and in the location you would naturally add a line guard on a right hand wind reel. Since the St John was not typically fitted with a line guard, it seems plausible that this is what was done. In addition, based on the proportion of the size of the foot to the diameter of the reel, I think the reel is 3 7/8".

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Hardy St.John came in one size only 37/8” . This reel has a reparation,a broken rim and a filed reel foot. I don,t think its worth buying if its not really cheap. You can use it for fishing, as a collectors item the value are almost zero. A Hardy st. John as this from the 1930th. Are not so rare an item that you can,t find another and better. The plate on the backside could make the reel interesting for a New Zeeland flyfisher/collector.
Last edited by sovereign on 06/07/22 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Thanks all, it’s currently about $50 USD, see where it ends up. Don’t NEED it, but…

flyuvo
Guide

Post by flyuvo »

Hi all
Nothing to add that‘s been said so far. I think foot can tell more about age of this reel. My story is about the following reel. I bought it a couple of years ago off an American seller. It was covered all over with thick black paint and myself and the seller agreed that it must be an early St. John looking at the so-called bullet or canoe foot. So I stripped it off the paint and had to find out that the painter had sanded it so badly that you could hardly tell the stamps on it. But it’s definitely a St. John. Later I got to know this Irish man who put pictures on vintage reels and I sent my one to him. Here’s s the result displayed now in our living room 😊

Stay safe
Urs

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

The pics look cool

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Here are some more photos, looks like the screws are for a line guide, not seen one like this before.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I've seen a few aftermarket line guides before, but nothing like this. Looking at the reel under magnification it appears one of the original pillars has a groove and damage caused by the fly line. I suspect that the addition of the line guide was done as a means of prolonging the life of the reel.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

After seeing the line guard, I'm retracting my statement regarding what I would be willing to pay for said reel.

Cheers,
Joe

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Terribly interesting line guide - no doubt.
Small things cannot go unnoticed.
Like feet.

When looking for one - try to find one with a drag assembly present.
Unless you do not want it.

Sometimes referred to as a regulator by those in the know.

I have fished my St. John every day - this week. 8)
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Classic Reels”