First time using silk thread!

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

ozarkwater
Master Guide

First time using silk thread!

Post by ozarkwater »

Wow! As long as I have been tying? Finally took my tie to a new level, hesitant to do it. How can such small diameter be so easy to work with? OK, not tying #6 Sculpins. North country.

Don't care about the cost. Awesome.

Thank you

carl otto
Master Guide

Re: First time using silk thread!

Post by carl otto »

I am not sure what you are looking for here. Silk has a certain sheen not replicated by other threads. There is also a unique transparency imparted to it when wet. Like any material you need to learn its plusses and minuses.

Carl

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: First time using silk thread!

Post by DrLogik »

I started with silk back in the mid 1970's and have never left it. I use the poly threads too but I still use silk regularly. If you wax silk with beeswax it tames it even more and gives it a truly unique look on the fly. Silk is so easy to tie with too.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”