Feedback on the tying of peacock herl

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Feedback on the tying of peacock herl

Post by ozarkwater »

How many strands do you guys use when tying peacock herl?

Specifically interested in North country flies or traditional wet flies.

When I use several strands, they end up overlapping which does not do much good for a nice bulky section. When I use one strand...hardly shows up. At least to my way of thinking.

Thank you

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Feedback on the tying of peacock herl

Post by quashnet »

Try using two strands of herl, one tied in by the thinner end and the other tied in at the same place by the thicker end (cut off the heaviest butt end of that herl, of course). Tie the two strands in, then twist a couple of times to start to form a two-strand rope of herl, then smoothly wrap the body and tie off. The result should be an even distribution of herl along the body of a lightly-dressed wet fly.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

quashnet wrote:
06/04/22 19:03
Try using two strands of herl, one tied in by the thinner end and the other tied in at the same place by the thicker end (cut off the heaviest butt end of that herl, of course). Tie the two strands in, then twist a couple of times to start to form a two-strand rope of herl, then smoothly wrap the body and tie off. The result should be an even distribution of herl along the body of a lightly-dressed wet fly.
Thank you! Great tip. Have always trimmed the butt section and did some slight trimming on the tips [ due to fragility ].

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

As above. Tie in a few strands of herl then spin them between your thumb and forefinger into a rope. The wind forward as needed. After doing that I then wrap the black thread back through the herl in a spiral fasion to strengthen same.

SgtMajUSMC
Sport

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

I use two methods to both strengthen and tie thicker peacock herl bodies:

1. Dub or tie an underbody with black fur or yarn. Tie in peacock herl at the bend and use the method that I describe below to over wrap the underbody. Credit to the late Jim Bashline in his work "Night Fishing for Trout".

2. Lay down a thread base along the hook shank. Tie in the desired number of individual pieces of herl, bind them down along the top of the hook shank (forward and back, the working thread should be at the rear of the hook shank. Grasp the herls together and going over the hook shank, on the opposite side of the hook, twist them around the working thread. Wrap the herl/thread "rope" forward to the desired tie off spot. Unwind the herl as needed to clear the working thread. This may sound difficult/complicated, but it really isn't. It makes a very durable body that stands up to a lot of chewing. It is really useful for flies like the Leadwing Coachman or a peacock bodied Wooly Bugger.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Great info guys, thank you!

Will keep this in my CFRF link folder for quick refresher!

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

ozarkwater wrote:
06/04/22 18:35
When I use one strand...hardly shows up.
https://youtu.be/tF9-veO3RNU

https://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/page-878836

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

chugbug wrote:
06/05/22 11:21
ozarkwater wrote:

For goodness sakes!

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

i'll tie in 2-3-4-5 herls and immediately put 2-3 twists in the herl and begin wrapping forward on a crazy glue coated hook shank

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

ozarkwater wrote:
06/05/22 12:48
chugbug wrote:
ozarkwater wrote:

For goodness sakes!
Don't knock it til you try it...

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

chugbug wrote:
06/05/22 18:02
ozarkwater wrote:
06/05/22 12:48
chugbug wrote:
ozarkwater wrote:

For goodness sakes!
Don't knock it til you try it...
Hope did not mis-convey chugbug! The video and the other source are now bookmarked! Great info from all. Lots of techniques to try out.

Thank you!

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

😎

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

Size 18 and lower, I use one strand, 14's and 16's I use two strands. I would suggest you tie your best herl body, then dunk it in some water. After you see what herl looks like when wet, I don't think it really matters how you wrap it. Personally, I've never had much luck tying with a herl rope: my herl invariably breaks at the tie in point if I twist it. It makes no sense to me why anyone would twist delicate herl. What I do is wrap the tying thread around the herl 3-4 times, then wrap the herl/thread rope around the hook. Sometimes I'll give the thread a couple more wraps around the herl after wrapping 4-5 turns around the hook.

I always tie in my herl by the tips--after cutting a good amount off the tips, maybe 3-4 inches.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

flyty2: Serious trim on the herl butts and have never had any luck starting out with the tip ends. "Always" breaks off.

Am sure glad I asked the question, lots of good info from the memebers.

Thank you

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

well twisting peacock herl does make nice fly bodies. i usually cut about an inch or so off the tips and it rarely breaks. i''ll stick with my method

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

Fyi The Fly Tier's Bench Side Reference has a very good discussion of all these methods, with pros and cons for each. Pp 117-121
And two different copies sold on the Angling Marketplace in their May 2022 auction, one for $10 and another for $15....

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

chugbug wrote:
06/06/22 10:02
Fyi The Fly Tier's Bench Side Reference has a very good discussion of all these methods, with pros and cons for each. Pp 117-121
And two different copies sold on the Angling Marketplace in their May 2022 auction, one for $10 and another for $15....
W0W! $10.00 or $15.00 bucks for the Bench Side Reference is a screaming deal! What an excellent buy! Great book.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, This is from an earlier post:

Post by bluesjay » 09/17/21 22:24

Hi Guys, I took a few fly tying lessons from Cal Bird. He showed me the way to make a loop with the herl and thread which was spun with a tool that had a hook to spin it with. He had me make my own, which I did using welder's brazing rod. I still have it. I think Umpqua sold the tool as a Cal Bird tool. I have one. I still use the one I made.

Jay Edwards

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

bluesjay wrote:
06/06/22 12:39
Hi Guys, This is from an earlier post:

Post by bluesjay » 09/17/21 22:24

Hi Guys, I took a few fly tying lessons from Cal Bird. He showed me the way to make a loop with the herl and thread which was spun with a tool that had a hook to spin it with. He had me make my own, which I did using welder's brazing rod. I still have it. I think Umpqua sold the tool as a Cal Bird tool. I have one. I still use the one I made.

Jay Edwards
Missed this post. More different methods to try. Again, thank you one and all!

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Norm Frechette wrote:
06/06/22 06:03
well twisting peacock herl does make nice fly bodies. i usually cut about an inch or so off the tips and it rarely breaks. i''ll stick with my method

Nice!

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”