Feedback on the tying of peacock herl

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Feedback on the tying of peacock herl

Post by henkverhaar »

I use two methods to build substantial peacock herl bodies. The first one, as already described here, is to twist multiple strands around your tying thread and make the body with the resultant rope. The second is to use three strands, two tied in at the rear of the body pointing backwards, one tied in at the front, pointing over the hook eye. Wrap one of the rear strands to the front, to where the front strand is tied in. Then trap that strand with the front strand and wrap that backwards, to where the second rear strand is tied in. Trap with this second rear strand and wrap that forward. Tie off, and snip all loose ends. You could reinforce the final strand by making a rope with tying thread, although I've never felt the need.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

ozarkwater wrote:
06/07/22 06:05
Norm Frechette wrote:
06/06/22 06:03
well twisting peacock herl does make nice fly bodies. i usually cut about an inch or so off the tips and it rarely breaks. i''ll stick with my method

Nice!
Agree!

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

bluesjay wrote:
06/06/22 12:39
Hi Guys, This is from an earlier post:

Post by bluesjay » 09/17/21 22:24

Hi Guys, I took a few fly tying lessons from Cal Bird. He showed me the way to make a loop with the herl and thread which was spun with a tool that had a hook to spin it with. He had me make my own, which I did using welder's brazing rod. I still have it. I think Umpqua sold the tool as a Cal Bird tool. I have one. I still use the one I made.

Jay Edwards
Unless I'm working on some very small flies, this is the method I use as well. I've found the durability of the fly improves dramatically. I think I learned this method watching Denny Rickards tie Stillwater patterns 20 years ago or more. Not sure if they make the tool any longer, but it is a handy tool to have around.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

bluesjay wrote:
06/06/22 12:39
Hi Guys, This is from an earlier post:

Post by bluesjay » 09/17/21 22:24

Hi Guys, I took a few fly tying lessons from Cal Bird. He showed me the way to make a loop with the herl and thread which was spun with a tool that had a hook to spin it with. He had me make my own, which I did using welder's brazing rod. I still have it. I think Umpqua sold the tool as a Cal Bird tool. I have one. I still use the one I made.

Jay Edwards
Here's the Cal Bird dubbing tool in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1QobMzgOA

I've seen that video before, but I did not remember the tool. You could make a cheap version of that tool out of a paper clip to test it out. I'm going to give it a try. :)

And, eflytyer sells a Cal Bird "style" dubbing tool($4.50) on etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/692943328/ ... 1108060321

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

flyty2: Pretty slick little operation. I have that tool, well one very similar. Mounted it on a Phillipson Pacemaker tip ferrule and piece of cane; that had been split for about 10" all to heck and over wrapped long ago. Picked the tip up for "parts or repair" off of the site not to be named for shipping costs.

Anyway, thank you for the video links.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

chugbug wrote:
06/06/22 10:02
Fyi The Fly Tier's Bench Side Reference has a very good discussion of all these methods, with pros and cons for each. Pp 117-121
And two different copies sold on the Angling Marketplace in their May 2022 auction, one for $10 and another for $15....
Thanks for the cite! I have the book, so I'll check it out. I paid full price. :(

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I use the split thread technique or dubbing loop for peacock. Split thread has less bulk and is my usual go-to. # of strands depends on the herl characteristics and the fly design. There is no set formula for # of strands.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

Okay, here's my new Cal Bird "style" dubbing tool:

It took me less than a minute to bend a large paperclip into the proper shape with my fingers.

And, here is a size 10 (TMC 3769/2x heavy) Leadwing Coachman winged wet fly that I tied using the Cal Bird dubbing tool on the herl:

Bushy, bushy! I used four strands of herl, and I twisted the herl more times than I thought possible, and it didn't break. One tip: the thread dubbing loop has to be shorter than the length of the herl.

Dave Hughes says a large Leadwing Coachman winged wet will work during a Green Drake hatch. We'll see.

(Hmmm...PostImage does not want to display my images. I had to use Flickr.)
Last edited by flyty2 on 06/08/22 18:50, edited 20 times in total.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I use two strands and also tie in a piece of brown thread along with the peacock and twist to make a rope. I found the thread improves durability. I do this for turkey tail herls also.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

BigTJ wrote:
06/08/22 13:14
I use the split thread technique or dubbing loop for peacock. Split thread has less bulk and is my usual go-to. # of strands depends on the herl characteristics and the fly design. There is no set formula for # of strands.
What do you do after you split the thread?

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

chugbug wrote:
06/05/22 11:21
ozarkwater wrote:
06/04/22 18:35
When I use one strand...hardly shows up.
https://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/page-878836
Missed that one. Thanks!

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Strands of herl, twisted and spun over with thread.

Gives me an idea that maybe I will use silk thread of asst'd colors. Orange, purple for instance.

Just a thought.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

The Late and great Ed Story of Feathercraft fame bought me to tie peacock herl by twisting it and the thread together to make a more secure peacock body. I have been tying all of my peacock this way for 40 years. Bud Lilly always used and liked flies with peacock herl in them. I have quite a few patterns in my boxes - peacock and partridge, princes, coachmen, renegades, just to name a few.

Gregg

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

I twist as above and sometimes twist around a piece of wire

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Will say this. Posting this topic and the one on hackle pliers has been a game changer for me. The tying methods and...the selection of herl!

Goodness.

No more bulk $5 bundles of peacock for me!

And that odd clamp hackle plier? Genius.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have tied my peacock herl using a dubbing loop for thirty years. You get a nice herl chenille and the thread really reinforces it. There are many dubbing twister tools out there. I like the "Dubbit" that was sold by Phil Camera.

Even on midges I will use one herl and the loop technique with 14/0 thread. The flies hold up through many trout.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Thank you. Have not tried the loop technique a lot, yet. Need to, still all thumbs with it. In MO way too hot and dry to fish for trout anyway. Great time to experiment tying up stock for the fall.

Mentioned before really glad I started this thread, getting lots of good tips.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

That paper clip tool is nifty. You could also cut off the bottom part and insert the straight part into a piece of dowel rod to make a handle.
The handle would make it easier to twist the herl an wrap it.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

All

I use a method taught to me by the Late Ed Story of Feathrcraft fame. He tied in the heres tip first - twisted them around the fly tying thread and wrapped forward twisting as he went. I have been using this method for almost 50 years and it has made my herl flies a little more durable. I use a lot of peacock herled flies.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”