3 piece stillwater taper for 9-13 inch fish

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

mkado

3 piece stillwater taper for 9-13 inch fish

Post by mkado »

I'd like to pack in the rod to some alpine lakes that have some small but tough fish. Probably mainly small streamers and nymphs with the hopeful occasional dry fly.
Any thoughts on a taper to build would be appreciated. Was thinking of a 'Devine Fairy" 7' 6" 3 piece 3 wt. It can get a little windy so maybe a 4 wt is better?
Again, many thanks.
Mark

tapermaker
Master Guide

Re: 3 piece stillwater taper for 9-13 inch fish

Post by tapermaker »

the" kiley granger" is a super little 4 wt 3/2 . Its 7ft so maybe a longer rod would be better. The 8ft 48df 2/2 leonard would be a good choice and could be made 3/2 w/ a 15 /9 ferrule. I made this taper into a lovely 4/2 hollow built rod w/ 15/12 /9 stepdown truncated ferrules (25 " tube ) . came in at 2.8 oz ferruled up w/ tiptops attached . its my best 4 wt rod for hiking into a lake or stream. Dennis

mkado

Post by mkado »

Thanks so much. I will try and find the numbers.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

get the Catanach rod building book, it has a ton of tapers that will work perfectly for what you want to do.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

The 7633 would be good for this.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

mkado

Post by mkado »

Thanks for the ideas. I'm rough planing the sections but still have yet to decide on a taper. I'm sort of stalling and wrapping another rod while I decide.

Return to “Taper Exchange”