Onion Sandwich

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Onion Sandwich

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Just wondering, am I the only one that ever had to try an onion sandwich after reading Big Two-Hearted River?

Barry

trland
Master Guide

Re: Onion Sandwich

Post by trland »

I guess somebody’s gotta do it.

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

times have never been THAT tight.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

My high-school trade (Carpentry) teacher ate onion sandwiches. (And smelled like it).
Mike B

George Carson
Sport

Post by George Carson »

My dad lamented how he had no choice post WW II, times were tough. They ate onion sandwiches if they had the bread. That's all they had to eat, how times have changed.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Raw onions between two slides of white bread don’t appeal to me. However, caramelized onions in olive oil on a good sourdough toasted baguette….

Some great dishes contain minimal number of ingredients, many times humble ingredients…

Tight lines and buen apetito

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

I had onion sandwihes when I was a kid. Big slice of sweet onion, gob of Merical Whip if we had it between two slices of bread. We also had lard sandwiches on ocasion or lard on toast or lard on our onion sandwich.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

My Grand father came to the USA in the early 1900's and became an onion farmer in the rich fertile mucklands here in central NY state. He ate a raw onion like an apple frequently and lived to 93 and wore out 3 pacemakers. Maybe the onion played a part in that? I prefer a large slice on a cheeseburger!

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Not on the two hearted river but on Rainy Lake in Minnesota...

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

I like onion sandwiches, but I love an thick sliced onion sandwich with a thick slice of limburger cheese added.

Willis

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Willis! That sparked a memory for me - when I was employed at Oneida Silversmiths LTD., our chemist would take up a collection once a month to buy a few bricks of limburger and a few big Spanish onions as well as a loaf of local Italian bread. Wow - that brought back memories...

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

barebo,

Yes! And that sounds like it must have been Italian bread from Columbus bakery. Those are some of the things I miss about upstate NY. Local limburger
cheese and Columbus bakery. Throw in some Gianelli sausage and I'm happy. First time I had an onion and limburger sandwich (other than home) was in an old time gentleman's bar in Troy, Ny, The ancient bartenders wore black arm bands to hold up their sleeves and visors. There were no stools at the bar and there was a copper trough running the length of the bar. They had a free lunch, but you had to order the limburger and onion sandwich separately. Better stop with these memories.....

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

my father loved onion sandwiches, with sardines and told me in depression he used to get jam sandwich for school, to me that sounded ok, then he said 2 slices of bread with lard jammed together.He also liked peanut butter and ripe banana sandwiches which i enjoyed to. Thanks for the memories. Daryl

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

They are okay; but I like peanut butter with hot spicy pickle slices on cranberry wild rice bread better when I'm fishing.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Yeah, but did you dip in the water before you ate it?
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Nope...

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Solon Springs Wisconsin had the perfect soil for Vadalia onions. They were so sweet I would a thick slice in a sandwich with Miracle Whip. Sometimes with extra goodies, sometimes just the onion. Unbelievable sweet onions. I miss when they hit the northern WI markets.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Love onion sandwiches, but with Hellmans.
Also a slice of tomato doesn't hurt.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Dang it, Barry, you're a southerner now. Make it Duke's, not Hellman's. Your taste buds will thank you.

Another fine variation is a slice of Bermuda or Vidalia on a bagel with cream cheese. Lox optional but preferred.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Paul,

Duke's ain't bad, especially if on sale.

Now that bagel sounds like some Yankee food to me. Certainly sounds good to me, but hold the lox.

Return to “Book Talk”