ID Please 8', 3/2pc - H-I Possibly - Diamond Wrap???

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

jimmymac448

ID Please 8', 3/2pc - H-I Possibly - Diamond Wrap???

Post by jimmymac448 »

I'm really stumped regarding this older bamboo rod. I'd love to hear what others think? It's been sitting in my project bin for almost a year now. Looking around, I noticed H-I catalogs offered special diamond wrapped rods in the late 1920's and 1930's, but there were no pictures.

8', 3/2pc, detailed diamond pattern butt wrap, ferrules and stripping guide wrapped in alternating purpleand tan/gold stripes, many other guides wrapped with gold only. Older "all in one cork grip/reel seat" with brass bands. Butt measures 33", mid 32 1/4", tips both 32 3/4." Chromed ferrules are 11/64" and 17/64. The three sections weigh 4.4 oz.

Comments?

Jim

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: ID Please 8', 3/2pc - H-I Possibly - Diamond Wrap???

Post by steeliefool »

I'm thinking a rewrapped Union Hardware with a replaced grip/seat.

jimmymac448

Post by jimmymac448 »

Honestly, that's not much to go on. Are you thinking the winding check and and ferrules suggest Union Hardware? I'm planning to take it uo for a spin this afternoon with DT3, 4, and 5 lines and see how it performs.

jimmymac448

Post by jimmymac448 »

jimmymac448 wrote:
06/11/22 10:35
Honestly, that's not much to go on. Are you thinking the winding check and and ferrules suggest Union Hardware? I'm planning to take it uo for a spin this afternoon with DT3, 4, and 5 lines and see how it performs.
I ran into this in the Winding Check section of Richard's Antique Rod and Reel Library. The diamond design and winding check look close...

https://antiquerodandreels.com/windingchecks/835

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I've seen a Lot of H-I rods but never an all cork reel seat? Also, the knurled winding check seems odd on an H-I.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

barebo wrote:
06/11/22 18:55
I've seen a Lot of H-I rods but never an all cork reel seat? Also, the knurled winding check seems odd on an H-I.
+1

jimmymac448

Post by jimmymac448 »

Hey, I really do appeciate the input. I took the rod out for some lawn casting this afternoon, and it really liked the DT4F line on my Pflueger Medalist 1492 reel. I cast really nice big loops and was easy close in, or out to 50-60' with a double haul. Maybe I'll just keep this mystery rod and update the reel seat portion of the all in one grip, which is definitely shot, leave the 6" grip and diamond details and re-do the wraps in gold silk with purple tipping.

This might do the trick, with chrome sliding bands, and maybe new chrome Snake Brand original guides that all match up with the ferrules and stripping guide.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Yes!!
The current brass seat hardware and the tapered transition from seat to grip looks pretty cheesey to me, and is clearly a replacement.
Have fun!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Hello,
The links require a Photobucket account to view.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”