Sun & Planet Reel

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

eotr
Guide

Sun & Planet Reel

Post by eotr »

Here's my latest reel finally completed.

This reel is my take on the Malloch's Sun & Planet design. It is loaded with backing, running line and an OPST 275gr. head for use on a 10'6" 3pc that I made for streamer fishing the Bow. I've fished it a couple of times and it functions exactly as planned.

Surprisingly the knob/gear assembly was the most challenging part of the reel.

I used spool cage pins as the threaded anchors for the sun gear so the reel ends up somewhere between a medium and large arbor reel.

The winding plate latch turned out well, with only .002" side play when installed.

Brent

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sun & Planet Reel

Post by adrien schnee »

Brent, you are extraordinarily talented! I know of no other craftsman that makes their own single hand and Spey cane rods capable of landing large saltwater fish and taimen and a range of bench made complex reels as you do.

One of these years when back in Alberta perhaps I will have the pleasure of meeting you on a stream or lake and seeing some of your gear.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

It's beautiful Brent...

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Brilliant!
You do the CAD as well?

eotr
Guide

Post by eotr »

Thanks for your kind comments guys. This reel was a fun project. Yes - I do all the CAD design. I generally spend more time on the CAD design than on the actual machining. If I get the CAD right there is much less time required for the final fitting.

My next project is a custom fully sealed multiplier spey reel for a fellow who contacted me after seeing my posts on SpeyPages. I expect that one to be finished mid July.
Brent

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”