Keel dry flies??

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

PAGH
Guide

Keel dry flies??

Post by PAGH »

I purchased a box of used trout flies that has a couple dozen unusual parachute dry flies without posts. The hook point rides up, hackle is wound around the beginning of the bend, shank is straight and the eye is straight, in the same plane as the hook bend.

Who is credited with creating this style?

Mid 60’s?

Early 70’s?

Or another era?

Which hook companies made this style hook?

Thank you in advance to those willing to share their knowledge.

PAGH

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Keel dry flies??

Post by Webfly »

I remember them being called Water Wisp flies. You may want to do a Google search on that.

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

like some of these

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

i dont believe water wisp flies used "keel" hooks

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Webfly and Norm,

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. They are not true keel flies but appear to be Waterwisp or tied on that style hook. I just looked at one and I was wrong—shank is slightly curved, not straight as I originally posted.

They appear to represent a cripple or perhaps an emerger. About 3 weeks ago a nice rainbow took one in some choppy/fairly fast riffles. Unfortunately he threw the hook with some violent head shakes as I tried to bring him upstream—fun fight while it lasted.

Have either of you fished this style of dry fly?

Thank you,
PAGG

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

The late Roy Christie had a fondness for upside down flies, but he used "normal" hooks -

Easy Peasy Upside Down Dun

Avon Special

All respect to my old mate Roy, they never worked any better for me than a Harrop Hairwing Dun, which I find easier to tie.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Partridge has made some odd hooks in the past. This one seems to be a current product: https://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore ... t-phksju08
Walt

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

I used to tie keel flies in the mid 1970, mostly patterns for Bass fishing. I believe Mustad made them and as I recall they were only made or marketed for a "short time" - 6 to 7 years (?).

slw
Master Guide

Post by slw »

Dick Pobst invented the keel hook in the mid 1970s. At first they were made only by Eagle Claw...style# 1213....and only available in large sizes for bass bugs and streamers. I still have some in #2 and #4. Then in 1976 Orvis had Partrdge make some in #16 and #14 for dry flies. They never caught on and didn't last in the market. Here's a rememberence of Dick Pobst:

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/reme ... dick-pobst

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”