Flood affects on Livingston area spring creeks ?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Bee
Master Guide

Flood affects on Livingston area spring creeks ?

Post by Bee »

Not to diminish in any way the losses to area residents , but I wonder if the flooding will reroute or eliminate any of the Nelsons or Armstrong Creek areas. I have not seen any arial photos of the flood near Livingston.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Flood affects on Livingston area spring creeks ?

Post by Hellmtflies »

Unknown as yet. Fingers crossed.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

This video of Paradise Valley would be the kind of flood coverage the spring creeks are incurring. Hopefully main river does not reroute itself and the strong river currents do not eradicate the creeks.

https://youtu.be/95ADd0DUW6s

j2t
Guide

Post by j2t »

Nelson's posted an update to their FB page that the dike held. Creek is muddy but...

There is video of Depuy's (also on FB) that does not look so good.

Jared

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Word in town is that Depuy's is now a side channel for the Yellowstone and similar situation for Armstrong's. Nelson's dike has held so far. Everything is a mess right now and info is scarce...

Tom

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Apparently a similar breach by theYellowstone occurred in 1996 and the river breach was subsequently closed to restore the spring creeks.

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Morning update on the spring creeks - Nelson's is running clear and Armstrong's appears to be clearing too. Not as bad as first reported.

Tom

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Good to hear. Hoping all three wonderful spring creek fisheries survive!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

in 1996 I attended my last TU meeting in Bozeman when the shops came in and requested funding to fix Depuys, Armstrong, and Nelsons as they were private and pay to fish sites I was and am still opposed to TU funding going to fix private waters . I hope for best with this flood, but need to consider the worse case Scenario.

Gregg.

Bill M.
Sport

Post by Bill M. »

Well, I am all for helping keep these creeks intact and open however it is funded. They are open to the public for a fee so in a sense they are still public waters. And they are trout habitat. And I do hope the DePuy's makes it through the flooding.

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Bill M. wrote:
06/22/22 08:45
Well, I am all for helping keep these creeks intact and open however it is funded. They are open to the public for a fee so in a sense they are still public waters. And they are trout habitat. And I do hope the DePuy's makes it through the flooding.
Hi Bill,

Well word around town is all the spring creeks, Depuys, Armstrongs, and Nelsons, survived with only minor issues. Nelsons in particular is back to normal with clear water and healthy hatches. Also the southern loop of Yellowstone Park opens today and they expect to open the northern loop within two weeks. Access is still not available thru the North or NW entrances.

Tom

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Yes, I've heard from Livingston locals that the creeks are OK, with some silt from the Yellowstone overflow entering Armstrong/Depuys creek.
Line into the West Yell. entrance is said to be 3 mi. long on opening morning today.

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

We’ve been on Nelson’s twice this week. Tuesday the PMD hatch was moderate, today heavy and long. Like it ever missed a beat. Fish are fat and strong.

Off to Armstrong’s tomorrow.

Rich

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Great!
Love those spring creeks in paradise valley

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

Fished Armstrong’s today. First time so I can’t compare to pre-flood. The river flowed massively through most of Armstrong’s - the trash line us high up. Regulars say the flood took out a lot of silt (good thing) but also weeds (bad thing). A light PMD hatch today but it lasted from 11:00-4:30. Many fish feeding and taken on top once the hatch started. As with Nelson’s, big and strong. We had 3 tremendous days on these creeks.

If you are thinking of canceling your trip to them, DO NOT.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Thanks for the report eastprong.
I'm looking forward to fishing Depuy's July 14th.
Dennis

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

eastprong wrote:
06/24/22 21:09
Fished Armstrong’s today. First time so I can’t compare to pre-flood. The river flowed massively through most of Armstrong’s - the trash line us high up. Regulars say the flood took out a lot of silt (good thing) but also weeds (bad thing). A light PMD hatch today but it lasted from 11:00-4:30. Many fish feeding and taken on top once the hatch started. As with Nelson’s, big and strong. We had 3 tremendous days on these creeks.

If you are thinking of canceling your trip to them, DO NOT.
Update from this morning - spent some time at Nelson's talking to Jacquie and Mary about the creek. Both agreed it's fishing as good as ever and bigger fish than they've ever seen. Water looks beautiful and lots of rising fish. Armstrong's is also fishing well with a lot of silt flushed out. Jacquie said the closest she can compare the water at Armstrong's is to New Zealand water. Saw some pictures and gotta agree...

Tom

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”