A Small Memory of Lyle Dickerson

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

carl otto
Master Guide

A Small Memory of Lyle Dickerson

Post by carl otto »

When I was young I was enamored with the stories read in the Fin, Fur and Feather magazines at my great Uncle's cottage. On rainy days I would paw through them. Stories of trout fishing with flies, and of course fine bamboo rods abounded. When it came time to graduate from High School (1970) my father wanted to give me a present worthy of the occasion. Noting I dreamed of fly fishing and had collected a number of pamphlets from bamboo rod makers he felt this would be an appropriate gift. At the time an Orvis Wes Jordan 7'6" rod was $325.00, I had a letter from a fellow named Everett Garrison quoting me a price of $280.00 for one of his rods. There was a Paul Young Company in Michigan that looked interesting too?. We took a trek up to Traverse City to see what Paul Young was about. At the shop we met this slight wiry fellow named Bob Summers who took a lot of time to show me their rods and cast them. My memory was how dark the rods were and the unusual casting feel to them. Seeing my interest he also said there was this fellow named Lyle Dickerson not to far away, that we should also meet and consider one his rods. Mr. Summers called Lyle to make sure he was at home and off we went.

Mr. Dickerson was this balding older gentleman in a dirty white shop coat and he spoke to my father of Detroit and engineering. There were all sorts of machines around and my father (an automotive engineer) seemed impressed with Mr. Dickerson's talents. His rods were this warm toasted yellow tone and elegantly wrapped. They seemed to glow. Knowing I like to camp, Mr. Dickerson suggested a "pack" rod and handed me a Model 761510 to cast, there was also a 861711 and a 861611. I was in love. Mr. Dickerson milled his rods and as he explained it, when he set up to make someone a rod (he called them "book" rods, because they went into his order log book) in one of his more popular models he would run a couple extra rods, make them out and have as "stock" to have on hand to sell. So from that stock my father purchased a 761510 and an 8013. I think the total price was in the $550 range. Later with money from my paper route savings I was able to go back to Mr. Summers and get a Driggs. I was set.

I fished those rods hard. By then being in my 20's I was pretty casual with them. Into the 1970's graphite was all the rage and taking over and my friends just thought it quirky of me to continue to fish with "wooden" rods. One day one of them monkeying around snapped about 2 inches off my 8013 and that was it, I never took them out around people anymore and kept their use to myself personally.

I went to see Summers and Dickerson a number of times on my fishing adventures. They seemed to be good friends of the craft. Bob helped Lyle as he aged to make rods. I remember Mr. Dickerson stopping rod work and selling his shop due to his declining health (he needed the money). He sold his shop for about $2,500. Everything! Some went to Bob and the bulk to Tim Bedford. Mr. Dickerson apparently had Alzheimer's and it gradually took his mind and eventually his life.

There is no point to this small recollection of many which fishing bamboo has afforded me. Just thought I would share it. Their kindness. Their hard working dirt stained, shop worn hands. Real people, making real things and proud of every aspect they did. Yet, not so serious that they would not stop and spend how ever long talking to someone showing interest in what they did.

Best,

Carl
Last edited by carl otto on 06/14/22 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

wctc1
Master Guide

Re: A Small Memory of Lyle Dickerson

Post by wctc1 »

Carl, thank you for a very excellent and well written remembrance.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Carl,

Great story. Now that those guys (except Summers) are long gone, it's only through first-person recollections like yours that we can learn what they were like. Thanks.

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Thank you Carl, very enjoyable!

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

Carl,

Excellent story. Thank you for recalling and writing your memories of these great rod makers. I am just a year older than you and had somewhat similar experiences although not in anyway close to yours. I still have my 1973 Leonard catalogue that was mailed to my college address. And I wish I still owned the Bob Summers 856 that he made for me in the 1970's. I am happy that I was able to visit him last September.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Oh, there's a point to this story all right. It's found in the final sentences of this wonderful essay. Thank you so much.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

What an excellent recollection, Carl. Thank you for taking the time to write about it and post it here.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Fabulous tribute, Carl! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello; a great post, carl!!!

thanks, jim w

Morten

Post by Morten »

Priceless story, thank you

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

What a great way to start my morning, a good coffee and a wonderful shared memory, thank you for taking the time to put it down on record.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thank you for this.

Jay Edwards

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Wonderful story Carl, and your last paragraph, priceless and profound. Salute!

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

The way it was. No websites, emails. Just word of mouth.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

What a nice read. Thanks Carl!

Harry

Grouse
Guide

Post by Grouse »

Carl,

Well told. Fine memories of two great talents.

Ron Gast
Sport

Post by Ron Gast »

That's the best kind of story when you remember an old friend.

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

Posts like this epitomize the very best of this forum. Great read, thanks for sharing.

Jay

rosc78

Post by rosc78 »

What a great post--some real first hand history. Excellent

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Wonderful, amazing times. Thank you.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”