A Small Memory of Lyle Dickerson

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A Small Memory of Lyle Dickerson

Post by adrien schnee »

Most enjoyable read Carl, thanks for sharing these memories from your teens and early twenties with us.

What an absolutely FABULOUS gift from your dad by the way. Did he ever enjoy fishing too, either conventional or fly - or just recognized your passion? Did you have opportunities to fish together?

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Thank you, Carl! This is what it's all about. They were, and are, hardworking men who always made time to share their craft.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

My Grandfather as friends with the publisher of "Fur Fish and Game" at least through the 1970s. He lived on the banks of the same Olentangy River Gramps' place was on. It was once a premier smallmouth stream, since ruined by the dam in Delaware. Heard that sad story many times. He got me a subscription when I was a kid in the 70s. But to me Fishing Facts with its nuts and bolts approach to warmwater bassin' was more my thing. I wish I woulda kept those issues. i had a stack of them into the 80s.

abingram
Master Guide

Post by abingram »

Thanks Carl, sorta like a Dana Lamb story. Barry

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

Very nice story. Recently a friend told me he had come into possession of a stash of Dickerson rods that had been sitting in a cabin for many years. He asked who I recommended to restore them. Without hesitation I said Bob Summers was the only one for the job and offered to deliver them to Bob for his evaluation and hopefully restoration. The picture shows Bob holding the rod bundle as found. It contains 3 fly rods and 2 bait casters.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

A fond memory shared about some of the "greats" sure warms the heart and I'll echo that it was well written and also extend thanks. What a priceless memory. Hopefully, the talented modern rod builders are forging those relationships and keeping their legacies alive with those coming along behind us.
Were it not for Mr. Dickerson and his colleagues these stories wouldn't exist.

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Wonderful story and great ending summary, thanks for sharing. I love that “competitors” were recommending you check out someone else’s work, so many places that would never happen today only trying to “sale” you on why theirs is the best

Southfork
Sport

Post by Southfork »

Thank you!

BigPine
Sport

Post by BigPine »

Hi Carl, this memory of yours has touched my heart. I'm reading your reminicence about meeting two of the Country's top rod makers during their era, taking the time from their busy shop to string up a few rods and have a young man cast them and discuss the merits of each, then offer up another rod maker to go visit and even call ahead! These are special memories that offer us a glimspe at what it was like to meet them, two icons of the rodmaking craft. It all hits home for me a little more, as I have a 8013 on the bench now, my first cane rod from a culm. I've not cast or even held a Dickerson, but I've choosen this taper as my first build. I'm looking forward to my first few casts a little bit more now, and thank you for posting this here. ;)

Jeff
Last edited by BigPine on 06/16/22 20:47, edited 3 times in total.

Recurve1.1

Post by Recurve1.1 »

A wonderful recollection and looking back certainly a privilege for you to be able to speak with these guys and own a rod from one.
Also impressive is that these talented craftsmen seemed like "regular guys" and not snobs.

If only we knew how the future would turn out - then how many Garrison rods would you have bought for $280 each!!
Prior posts as Recurve1.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Very nice, wonderful.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”