Jack Coyle rod being auctioned!

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

sixX

Jack Coyle rod being auctioned!

Post by sixX »

The Henry’s Fork Foundation’s annual Henry’s Fork Day reception and auction takes place on Saturday June 18th. One of the items in the auction is a new Jack Coyle 8’4” 3-piece 4-weight, hollow-built bamboo rod built especially for the auction. The rod weighs in at just under 3 ½ ounces and the action is medium-fast. Those who know Jack’s rods can attest to how well they cast, and his rods have a 3-year waiting list. Because the rod is in HFF’s live auction, the only way to bid is by calling HFF and having a proxy bidder. HFF’s phone number is 208/652-3567. To see photos of the rod and a further description, there are several images and additional information on the auction site (where you can also look at other auction items): https://events.handbid.com/auctions/hen ... le-1338633

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Jack Coyle rod being auctioned!

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thank you sixX. Great news. My bid is in! Fingers crossed. :)

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Jack Coyle rods are great rods in the modern hollowbuilt family with Brandins, Hansons, Vances, Reams and others - light, outstanding medium fast casters and cosmetically gorgeous in every respect. Jack has been friends with those other hollowbuilders and has just recently been offering his rods for sale instead of just giving them to a few very fortunate friends. In addition to being impeccably made in every respect they're terrific fishing tools, great casters, and influenced, I think, by his experience in fishing the Henry's Fork, where he has been spending his summers. I've cast his two-piece version of the 8'3" 4 wt. and it's a very lightweight, positive but delicate dry fly rod that's surprisingly good even in the afternoon winds in the West.

With the already long wait for one of his rods, the rare chance to get one right now is definitely worth a shot. Fishing it for the next 3-4 years instead of waiting that long to get one seems worth a premium over the current price, and it's all going to the great cause of enhancing the Henry's Fork and South Fork of the Snake.

sixX

Post by sixX »

Good luck, Hellmtflies!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Crap this is a tiny chance yet still a chance!
Good luck Mark ;)

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

16pmd is right. Jack's rods are great casters and cosmetically fantastic. Whoever wins the bid is very lucky!

Tim

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I have a hollowbuilt Payne 204 copy of Mr. Coyle's, it weighs 3.75 oz, it is perfect with a Terenzio 4.5, a TT5 or a Headhunters 4 line, lovely smooth medium fast action, and a pleasure on the stream or river, it has handled an landed a 24" rainbow on 5x in relatively fast water, a very nice rod, the winner will be a lucky person indeed.
I cannot imagine anyone would be less than thrilled with the rod.
So, good luck then.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Spammer!!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

jeffkn1 wrote:
06/18/22 10:09
Spammer!!
You got it! They are like fleas. They're everywhere.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Well? Who won the rod? Haven't heard a thing. My proxy bidder was to call me if the bid went over mine. He never called. Curious as to what it went for.

sixX

Post by sixX »

I'm guessing your proxy bidder will get back to you today, as the auction didn't end til around 9pm last nite. The rod sold for a stunning $4,500.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

sixX wrote:
06/19/22 08:44
I'm guessing your proxy bidder will get back to you today, as the auction didn't end til around 9pm last nite. The rod sold for a stunning $4,500.
Bummer. I bid $4,003.00. I wonder why he didn't call me as it went over my bid. (?)

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Mark, I’m sorry you weren’t given an opportunity to up your bid and win the rod. I know you’re all for supporting the HF Foundation and how badly you wanted a 4 wt Coyle. You’ll get one some day I’m certain!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

adrien schnee wrote:
06/19/22 10:33
Mark, I’m sorry you weren’t given an opportunity to up your bid and win the rod. I know you’re all for supporting the HF Foundation and how badly you wanted a 4 wt Coyle. You’ll get one some day I’m certain!
Thanx! Fingers crossed. :)

Return to “Forum Announcements”