Charlie Collins hackle

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

adkfan
Guide

Charlie Collins hackle

Post by adkfan »

http://www.collinshacklefarm.com/Farming.htm:

"Thank you.

For 42 years I've been raising hackle chickens, and enjoying every minute of it. Then, on April 23, 2022 my life changed. Medical issues arose in my family that would require my full attention. No longer would I be able to spend 3-5 hours a day in a chicken barn & still deal with the issues at hand.

What I thought would be one of the hardest decisions I'd ever make became one of the easiest. On April 24, 2022 I walked downstairs, unplugged the incubators, put roughly 2,300 eggs in buckets, and dumped them in the back field. And, just like that, I was done raising hackle chickens--amazingly, without a single regret.

No, I am not out of business yet. I have a huge inventory of capes to sell that should last at least 3-5 years. But, when those are gone, that's it!

I sincerely want to thank each and every one of you that patronized my business. From the tyer who purchased just one cape to those who purchased hundreds over the years, THANK YOU!!!

I hope you will continue doing business with me until my supply is gone.

I've had a good run. Beginning the day I picked up my first birds from Doc Fried in 1979 to the day I unplugged the incubators, I've been totally fascinated by it all. The friends I've made along the way have made the whole journey even more special. So, again, thank you and may God bless you all.

Charlie Collins"

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Charlie Collins hackle

Post by Hellmtflies »

Geeze.... Charlie that's sounds unreal. I wish you the best in recovery from whatever it was that had you make this decision. You had made a wonderful impact and contribution to this game, the world of fly tying and raising of the birds. I remember pouring over your display and booth at the Somerset Show years ago. You were always the most helpful and considerate. You will be missed.
Mark
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 06/17/22 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Wow. I did a search on "Charlie Collins book" and retrieved only 4 hits, suggesting to me that a book dedicated to Mr. Collins' operation may not (yet) exist??

As retired geneticist, I was stunned by the dramatic line of his, "On April 24, 2022 I walked downstairs, unplugged the incubators, put roughly 2,300 eggs in buckets, and dumped them in the back field. And, just like that, I was done raising hackle chickens--amazingly, without a single regret."

One single incubator load, yielding 2300 eggs means a theoretical yield of ~1150 males to raise for capes! From one load! The forward breeding, backcrossing or "production" breeding, pedigree tracking (of each egg?), the trove of notes, the by-product of females to sex and decide to retain or discard, the color and variety management, inventory, drying and preparation, and then the marketing and wholesale and retail distribution on top of all this seems truly astounding. What a labor of love and true science.

Are there any books that adequately describe these efforts? Any writers out there that have recollections of a site visit to his farm? It would be a shame to let this wisdom pass; I am not a tyer, but I'd love read more about the Collins Hackle Farm, and its many hard-won secrets! Cheers to Mr. Collins - I'd call him Professor Collins if given the opportunity. It's an amazing life - The Cape Crusader - I sincerely hope he's able to enjoy the needed rest.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

What is the sound of a thousand roosters crowing?
I can't even grasp that.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Good luck on your new life, I hope you find it rewarding at the least.

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

I couldn’t say it any better than Mark.
Hope all goes well on the road to recovery

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Does anyone know if it's possible to pm Mr. Collins directly or indirectly through this board?

Maybe it's a hijack, but no... I very much thank the OP, adkfan, for posting Mr. Collins' letter, and now i am completely fascinated by Hackle farming. There's a ton of logistics I now feel absolutely compelled to understand - to appreciate.

I realize i am a bit of a newb and also a bit of a Thread Killer. But, I have done good background research and read hundreds of Collins Hackle posts. Let this not be about cree. Also, i raise backyard chickens, if that helps. And now I have an obsession with what it truly must take to be a Catskill rooster farmer - filling a need in an agricultural market that has 1000x the nuance to it than Wagyu beef, quinoa or radicchio!

So, rather than drag you down with me into polygenic phenotypes, allele frequencies, inheritance patterns, and then the burdensome requirements of basic Mendelian sexing, I should leave it right there.

Please comment about my pm question above, or certainly to previous posts in this thread. I have no angle; I may need attention... but I've also come to believe in, and now celebrate the grit and genius of one Mr. Charlie Collins. He's got 3-5yrs of inventory guys! That sounds like lots of stories to tell.
Please help me learn more about him.
Many thanks for your tolerance.
Bob ~JoeBolt

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Charlie has no email and certainly not browsing forums etc.
You have to call him. His phone number is on his website:

http://collinshacklefarm.com

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

Summer 2022 edition of Fly Tyer magazine has an article regarding Charlie Collins and his hackles

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Just received some hackle from Charlie, beautiful colors and quality hackle.
Charlie states he has thousands of capes left, 4-6 years worth. I was pleased to learn there may be a supply for just a little longer.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That’s amazing how many inventory he still has

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

I believe somehow sideling hill hackle got involved with Charlie to make sure his genetics kept on after Charlie retired. Not sure how much they connected and to what extent sideling hill will picking up where charlie left off, if at all.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Unfortunately prices of Collins went up recently.
Sideling Hill's prices are not that nice as Collins' and you only get either the cape or a saddle rather than both

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”