Opinions on Simms waders wanted

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Prairie Drifter
Guide

Opinions on Simms waders wanted

Post by Prairie Drifter »

I am interested in the wading pants, does anyone have first hand experience with them?
North American & National Champion Taxidermist
Specializing in "Catch and Release" fish mounts

Custom Bamboo & fiberglass Rods

http://www.prairiedrifter.com

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Simms

Post by fishbum »

Sill using a pair of guides that I purchased in 1998. Lots of Aqua-Seal but no leaks. I also have a pair of G3 for summer use since then don't have as much leg room as the guides.

Sorry, missed the part about "pants", My comments is about waders.
Last edited by fishbum on 06/21/22 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Re: Opinions on Simms waders wanted

Post by driftless angler »

Not with their pants, but have had a pair of G3 waders forever. I have tried them all, but in the long run I don't think you can beat Simms. Yeah, they cost more, but not in the long run.

krautcaster
Guide

Post by krautcaster »

Hi Prairie Drifter,

if your inquiry is about the hip cut pants (same cut as a pair of jeans) then I can report on the last two models of these.

In general the lower cut is superb for your summer fishing where too much dress means that you will sweat.

I also like the idea to limit your wading to what you can do with this height of waders. In fast moving water this is pretty much when you will start to get into trouble. Once your butt is in the stream the water will really push you, let alone once the current reaches your back.

The original Simms wading pants came with a zippered pocket and that was a GREAT super convenient feature. The last version didn’t have the pockets and I miss them dearly.
According to SIMMS the 2022/23 model will sport a pocket again and I will get that one for sure.

I still mostly use chest high waders for my fishing but really enjoy the waist pants as a summer alternative.

If you only want a single pair the pants may not be for you. If you can do both, go get the new model and enjoy the comfort.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Andy

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I think I'm about where I'll have to finally retire my current pair of Simms waist-high waders. And, they're about 10 years old! In my experience, Simms fit better most other waders I've owned. I've had to aqua-seal the seams on one leg, and I might try one more attempt to make them last through this warm weather season. But, I fish almost exclusively tough places on headwaters streams where I'm always walking or crawling through brambles and brush, sliding over rocks, boulders, and debris dams, stumbling into beaver cuttings, and kneeling on rocks and gravel constantly to keep a low profile. I consider my experience pretty-much the ultimate torture test.

The only two things I'd mention are: (A) The gravel guards are a tough fit over the boot top circumference of any of my Simms wading boots, and it's a mystery to me how that has escaped Simms notice; and (B) The price of their new ones is dramatically more than the cost of my version. Luckily, I have another NOS pair that I picked up on the auction site from someone who said they bought the wrong size!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I find the pants limiting on my home waters where knee-deep wading, or deeper, is needed on every outing. They are ideal for shallow creeks or fishing out of a drift boat. They are obviously also not as warm in cold weather - so you need a longer jacket for those conditions.

John

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

I've had a pair for 3 years that get moderate use and I'm very happy with them.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Simms made ( or makes?) a couple of models that had Velcro belts on each side, so once you pulled them up, you could pull tight around the waist. No suspenders required. Both pairs I have are made in USA models, but pre zipper and somesuch. Cooler and easier to pull down than suspender models, but not as limiting as pants. I use them all the time, but can’t find them currently offered.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Like other Simms products, they take a beating and keep on going - but, DO try them on before you buy them. Simms sizes seem small to me. On the other hand, Orvis waders feel large to me.

Pat

Low Profile
Guide

Post by Low Profile »

Wading pants are great and are a nice change of pace in warmer conditions when it's still a bit too cold to wet wade. I fish hard but rarely wade up past my hips so most of time it doesn't create a problem and definitely keeps you more comfortable. My advise is to stay away from the non-USA made Simms waders. I have a pair of freestone pants (1 generation before the current offering) that I think are foreign made and have never ending leaks. I've turned then inside out several times, filled with water, sealed leaks with aqua seal and new leaks pop up every time I wear them. The neoprene booties are fine on them, it's the rest of the product. Also have a pair of Redington sonic seal waist waders and so far no leaks (shouldn't have said that now they are gonna leak) . I'm researching my next pair and will either be another pair of sonic seal or Dryft.

low Profile

Recurve1.1

Post by Recurve1.1 »

I've had 3 pair in the past 22yrs, all chest waders - the old guide model (still going but only used a few days each winter due to large size), and 2 pair of G3, the older is about 10 yr old and on its last legs. the other is relatively new and great. Fit me well, easy to patch pin holes, last well thru long hikes, stand up to abrasions with rocks, logs, etc.
Will buy another pair when needed unless the new Orvis waders perform as well - they look pretty good.
Prior posts as Recurve1.

Bill M.
Sport

Post by Bill M. »

I am wearing a pair of the Simms G3 wading pants that are about 20 years old and have been back to Simms twice. I like them. I have been pretty rough on them. Once was barbed wire. I am old and do not wade deep any more. With the belt up tight you do not get much water in if you fall. Not sure how the cheaper ones will hold up. And the G3's are pretty pricey but well worth it if you wear them a lot.

Prairie Drifter
Guide

Post by Prairie Drifter »

Thanks to all that answered.
North American & National Champion Taxidermist
Specializing in "Catch and Release" fish mounts

Custom Bamboo & fiberglass Rods

http://www.prairiedrifter.com

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

I have had 2 pairs of their most expense waders over the years. Both pairs leaked the first say I wore them, a had a new leak each time I wore them. Lots of Aqua seal.

Recurve1.1

Post by Recurve1.1 »

Capt. Frank wrote:
06/22/22 13:03
I have had 2 pairs of their most expense waders over the years. Both pairs leaked the first say I wore them, a had a new leak each time I wore them. Lots of Aqua seal.
If I had brand new expensive waders that leaked the first time out they would have been returned for a new pair that didn't leak or refund. Simms has a decent warranty on new stuff and they use to have a free checkup of the waders in the first year - not sure if they still do that.
Prior posts as Recurve1.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Recurve1.1 wrote:
06/22/22 14:29
Capt. Frank wrote:
06/22/22 13:03
If I had brand new expensive waders that leaked the first time out they would have been returned for a new pair that didn't leak or refund. Simms has a decent warranty on new stuff and they use to have a free checkup of the waders in the first year - not sure if they still do that.
I had this happen to me with the last pair of Freestones I got. Called Simms, they had me send them back direct (no need to work through the dealer). They replaced them no questions asked. Been 5 years without issue since. I'm on my 2nd pair in the last 15 years, and the 1st pair is still functional, it's the "guest" / rough terrain pair.

orange caddis
Guide

Post by orange caddis »

I have the guide pants. That is all I use and they are great.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”