Master’s Guide…Bamboo Fly Rod: first edition?

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Serendipity
Master Guide

Master’s Guide…Bamboo Fly Rod: first edition?

Post by Serendipity »

A copy of Garrison & Carmichael’s “A Master’s Guide to Building A Bamboo Fly Rod” was given to me many years back. The copyright is 1977 and at the bottom of the copyright page it says:

Printed in the United States of America
First Printing 1977

It’s unclear to me if this means the book belongs to that first printing, but there is no evidence that it is from a later printing, or that there necessarily even was a later printing.

I’m clearing out my book shelves and I am planning to put this this book up on the classifieds, but I have no idea of its current value. The book appears to be in excellent, unread condition. No marks or tears on any pages, dust jacket has two 1/4-2/3” edge rips, binding is excellent, cover splays out a bit at the long edge.

Any help, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Richard

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Master’s Guide…Bamboo Fly Rod: first edition?

Post by creakycane »

Yes, the Martha's Glen edition in DJ you mention is the First Ed, First Printing.

The line below the first printing may start "2 3 4 5......". That is how the standard copy I have from 77 starts, as well as the deluxe edition from 77 starts, so that must be the "first state"

Asking Price 150 - 175 from dealers in VG condition. It's an easy book to find with the later editions and printings, so not super in demand.
I'd probably ask 100 shipped if I was selling one and wanted it to move.
Last edited by creakycane on 06/22/22 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Serendipity
Master Guide

Post by Serendipity »

Thanks for your quick reply and guidance. Sounds like knowledgeable advice to me. I’ll likely let it go at a bargain price.

Richard

EGJenkins

Post by EGJenkins »

Richard, have you figured out what you want for a price or have you already sold this copy? I am interested in it. Thanks for a reply and keep your line tight.

Evan

Return to “Book Talk”