Spanish Pyrenees 2022

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

TimM
Master Guide

Re: Spanish Pyrenees 2022

Post by TimM »

Beautiful! Brings back so many wonderful memories of eating dinner with the 'early' crowd at 10:30 PM. :D

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Beautiful pictures of the streams and area. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Awesome report, thanks for sharing!

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Very impressive Jay. Did you do a Hemingway and have a post lunch nap under a tree?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I should have taken a nap indeed!
Next time for sure

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Spain is my favorite country in Europe—the wildest country in western Europe, for sure. I have never fished there, but I have done some serious birdwatching there in several places. I saw a Spanish Imperial Eagle in Cabaneros National Park in central Spain (a VERY rare bird), and some Lammergeiers in the pre-Pyrenees, a lower mountain range than the Pyrenees, just to their south.

The Lammergeier (“Lamb Vulture”), also called the Bearded Vulture, is an extremely cool bird. It’s huge (wingspan nearly 9 feet) and resembles a gigantic falcon. Its name in Spanish (Quebrantaheusos) means “that which breaks bones.” Its principal diet is bones from carcasses that have been picked over by other vultures, such as Griffon Vultures. They can swallow bones whole up to almost a foot long. When they fancy a bone they can’t swallow whole, they will carry it in their talons to considerable height, drop it onto rocks so that it shatters, and eat the fragments.

Next time I visit Spain, I’ll take a fly rod and explore the trout streams of the Pyrenees. Thanks for a delightful and enticing photo essay.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

:)

And, this too:
bamboo slinger wrote:
06/25/22 09:40
Beautiful! One of my Uncles is from there. I just spent the day with him yesterday. I'm going to share your pictures with him, bet he is going to love them. He is about 88 years old now and does not get to visit his home land much anymore. His little village I think is called De Leon. Family house is about 500 years old. Mine was built in 1984 and is already falling apart! He sure loves to fish for trout.
Thanks
:)

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

So beautiful! Thank you for the lovely pictures; I will enjoy looking at them for a long time. I was scheduled to fish in the Pyrenees in Spain last year but had to cancel because of a death in the family. I do intend to try again.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Love the horses along the river bank photograph, and all the others of course - thanks Jay!

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

ibookje wrote:
06/25/22 01:36
I brought a Bob Hallowell 7.6ft #3 three piece and a Mario Wojnicki (from his Scott period) 7.6ft #4 three piece rod.
My 7'6" Paul H. Young Co. Martha Marie rod was made for George Beall, an expatriate American who lived in southern France and fished the streams and reservoirs of the Pyrenees. I knew that he often fished in France, but I have just acquired an essay by Beall in which he describes, in the 1950s, crossing over the pass of Bonaigua at 6800 feet, on a road which then was a one-lane dirt track in some places, and heading down to the valley of Pallars. He continued to fish there intermittently into the 1980s. It's very likely that my Martha Marie landed a number of Spanish Pyrenees trout for George Beall. I would certainly like to go see those places for myself.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Wow, now I gotta go there.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

So many beautiful places to fish, so little time. Sigh.
Great photos.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Had an idea of organising a trip for members to the Pyrenees for a moment, but then I woke up all sweating... :rollin

Yes Robert, I'm sure Mr. Beall left his footprints in the Spanish Pyrenees!
Glad to share the beautiful places our planet has to offer.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”