early hardy reel chorus

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

early hardy reel chorus

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

i will put this in a different post. i have by loose count at least 18 or 19 hardy perfects 1895 to 1940. every one of mine has a different pitch. i believe i could learn to tell which size and age by the song.has any one else noticed this?

regards, jim w

sovereign
Master Guide

Re: early hardy reel chorus

Post by sovereign »

The early Hardy Perfects are difficult I think, I dare not buy any or may be I don,t have the money. I try to learn so much I can and during the years I understand a little more but still its quite difficult. From the 1920th. its not so difficult but before that - is it a repaired reel ? part from different reels etc. The Hardy replica of the 1902 pattern of the brass faced Perfect from 2002 or the 1896 replica from 1998 of the all brass Perfect 3" or the 1903 replica of the Hardy Bouglé from 1998 too works for me, ok not originals but made by Hardy 100 years later and true to the originals and a safe buy. The 1902 replica of the Brass Faced Perfect came in three sizes 25/8", 3" and 31/4", 250 of each only, 200 came in a set of three and 50 of each was sold individually. The 1896 all Brass Replica came in 3" and in 1000 samples only and the 1903 Hardy Bouglé replica came in 1000 made for the USA market and 1000 for the rest of the world. All these replicas were stamped with an individual number and the Hardy reel makers initials. Good hunting !

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

This is a great idea of the reels harmonizing in chorus - I bet Mr Ted Evans had a song or two playing as well.
I am glad to have so many favorites - the varying size of the checks is music to my ears.

From the Uniqua to the Silex and everything in between...
and although many try - nothing sounds like a Hardy.

My Perfect collection numbers fewer - but growing - and this is the inspiration to find another one today.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Take the time to clean, then add lubrication.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

sovereign wrote:
06/27/22 04:22
The early Hardy Perfects are difficult I think, I dare not buy any or may be I don,t have the money. I try to learn so much I can and during the years I understand a little more but still its quite difficult. From the 1920th. its not so difficult but before that - is it a repaired reel ? part from different reels etc. The Hardy replica of the 1902 pattern of the brass faced Perfect from 2002 or the 1896 replica from 1998 of the all brass Perfect 3" or the 1903 replica of the Hardy Bouglé from 1998 too works for me, ok not originals but made by Hardy 100 years later and true to the originals and a safe buy. The 1902 replica of the Brass Faced Perfect came in three sizes 25/8", 3" and 31/4", 250 of each only, 200 came in a set of three and 50 of each was sold individually. The 1896 all Brass Replica came in 3" and in 1000 samples only and the 1903 Hardy Bouglé replica came in 1000 made for the USA market and 1000 for the rest of the world. All these replicas were stamped with an individual number and the Hardy reel makers initials. Good hunting !

hello, sir; i hope you are having good fortune fishing the lakes among the tors of wales this season. thank you for the information.
regards, jim

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Yes I agree, they all sound different. And not very surprising considering the development of the check system over the years.
The cog wheel for instance. In the early brassface reels it was a large diameter cog wheel with very pointy teeth. In about 1908 they change the cog wheel to a more modern shaped one.
Then there's all the different springs used, that probably makes a difference in sound.
The brassface reels have a very distinctive ring to the sound. And the bigger check/cogwheel in the early reels also gives you more clicks per turn. And so on..

Skickat från min Redmi Note 5 via Tapatalk

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

Hardy Brass reels ring like a bell.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

A few different cog wheels: 1896 check brass face, early 1905 style check , early 1912 style, later (smaller) 1912 style.
Nore the difference in tooth shape between 1905 and 1912.
I believe the reels made between 1908 and 1911, with the 1905 check, have the same typ of wheel as the early 1912 reels have. Before 1908 the pointy toothed wheels where used.ImageImageImageImage

Skickat från min Redmi Note 5 via Tapatalk

Return to “Classic Reels”