Fishing with Grandkids Greater Yellowstone

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Fishing with Grandkids Greater Yellowstone

Post by Bucktrout »

Hi Everyone,

I will be in West Yellowstone, Jackson and Last Chance in July. I would like to take my wife and young grandson fishing while on this trip. Neither have great skills.

Looking for a stream in these areas to catch some accommodating cutthroat in fairly easy to wade streams with limited hiking. Fish don’t have to be big but it doesn’t hurt :)

Where would you recommend that I take them? Send me a PM if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Bill Terry
Guide

Re: Fishing with Grandkids Greater Yellowstone

Post by Bill Terry »

South of Jackson, there are several streams that don’t get as much attention as places like Henry’s Fork: the Greys River, the Hoback River, the Gros Ventre River, and the Salt River. I have driven along the Hoback many times, and I have never seen anyone fishing it. Yet it has plenty of fish. See the website for The Wandering Angler, for example. I fished the Salt River many years ago, when I didn’t know diddly-squat about fly-fishing, and I did okay. My fishing diary says that I once fished the Greys River with some success, but I actually don’t remember it!
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

In Last Chance the Buffalo river has plenty of access points with a lot of Brookies, can;t anything about Cutts.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

In the Island Park area I agree that the upper Buffalo would be a good place for small brookies. Also, upper Robinson Creek and upper Warm River have a variety of trout species. Cave Falls, south of Island Park is a beautiful spot that's in Idaho and also part of Yellowstone and has some fairly easy fishing for smallish trout. You can drive to all those places. Ask at local fly shops for specific info.

For inside Yellowstone, I'd suggest seeing what areas and roads are now open in addition to what small streams might be best at the time you come. West Yellowstone fly shops should have that current info.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”