Lee Wulff Hand tied fly (maybe)

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Lee Wulff Hand tied fly (maybe)

Post by RScottFlyRods »

Hi,

I’m hoping there is someone who might be able to ID this fly. It was supposedly tied by Lee Wulff. The story is that Lee Wulff was at Doak’s store in New Brunswick around 1965 or so. A friend of mine was there — he was just a kid then — maybe 10 to 12 years old and he met Lee. He was just a kid so didn’t think anything of it. There was a group of guys in the shop getting supplies including this kid’s father. After finishing their business at Doaks they all headed down to fish with Ted Williams at his pool on the Miramichi. At the pool Wulff gave the kid this fly to use. The kid then used it to take a salmon. It sounds crazy, I know, but who knows… maybe it’s true. Here is a few pics of the fly. Can anyone tell by looking at it if it appears to be tied by Lee Wulff? The round plastic container is 2” in diameter.

Thanks, Ron

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Lee Wulff Hand tied fly (maybe)

Post by narcodog »

The best bet is to contact the Catskill fly Fish center in Livingston Manor, NY. Or contact James Krul on FB

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Definitely contact the center...ask for assistance from Dave Catizone and Joan Wulff. Jim Krull will have knowledge as well.
I don't believe it is a fly tied by Wulff' but he had many different ideas. He tied in hand and frankly the fly in question seems to well tied to be his.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

To me, the fly looks an awful lot like a Jack's Basshoun, made and sold by the Marathon Bait Company. It also appears unused. A Google image search will show you many examples, including:

https://fishingcollectables.com/images/fl218.jpg

https://auctions.theanglingmarketplace. ... -lot-w-box
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

quashnet wrote:
06/29/22 11:07
To me, the fly looks an awful lot like a Jack's Basshoun, made and sold by the Marathon Bait Company.
I agree — thank you!

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”