David James Duncan, new book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

shuksanrodco
Sport

David James Duncan, new book

Post by shuksanrodco »

David James Duncan has a new, forthcoming epic novel titled Sun House, and in the just released issue of The Flyfish Journal is a long-form profile I wrote about him, his life and work, and about his new novel, complete with a dozen or so great photographs.

https://www.theflyfishjournal.com/issue ... underhead/

For fans of his I encourage you to both pick up a copy of the journal and keep your eyes peeled for his new book.

Thanks,
-jimmy

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: David James Duncan, new book

Post by creakycane »

A new book from DJD is always worth looking for ....thanks for pointing it out, and for the link to your piece on him.

Funny to see this post, as I had just been reading a piece by David Duncan on Henry Bugbee, entitled “Five Henry Stories”. A bit on Norman Maclean, Meister Eckert, Zen Buddhism and faith. And fishing. Very DJD. Bugbee was a philosopher/fly fisherman who seems to be very highly regarded in academic circles.
I have one of his books, “the Inward Morning”, that is a journal of thoughts, musings and a little fishing. My words. I find it strangely alluring, though I get the distinct feeling I don’t have enough background in philosophy to really appreciate what he is trying to say. But Duncan’s article has very interesting commentary of Bugbee and his book and life as a teacher.....

Here’s a thread on Bugbee from 2011 from folks who might chime in and clarify my babbling....

viewtopic.php?p=232519&hilit=Bugbee#p232519
Last edited by creakycane on 07/16/22 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kenov
Master Guide

Post by Kenov »

Duncan on Bugbee. Very interesting; glad you mentioned this, CC.

Good to hear about the book and profiles too, Jimmy. Will check them out.

shuksanrodco
Sport

Post by shuksanrodco »

Bugbee is a literal gem. I discovered his book Inward Morning at the dump, quite literally. Some may know it as the "Coolin Mall" at Priest Lake, ID -a set aside at the dump yard where folks can leave "for free" items that may be of use to someone instead of going in the dumpster. It's books, lamps, kitchen items, etc...

I saw and grabbed a copy of "Inward Morning" because it had a river image on the cover. Such a gem. And then to discover Duncan's touching essay "5 Henry Stories" about his dear friend Henry Bugbee. What a connection.

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Thank you all for this information.

rogerblong

Post by rogerblong »

I love fly fishing, and I love to read, but I cannot read David James Duncan.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I too love fishing books and have no idea of how many are in my collection. Years ago I tried to read The River Why by Duncan and tried to force myself to read it to it's completion but it was impossible. As an avid motorcyclist and BMW owner I went through the same thing with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Got to the middle of the book and had to put it down though Pirsig was a much better writer than Duncan in my opinion. Guess I am not a Zen kinda guy.

Return to “Book Talk”