Sweetgrass - cane geometry

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Sweetgrass - cane geometry

Post by Eperous »

I have a question regarding the geometric "characteristics", not shape of Sweetgrass cane rods... I believe QUAD means four sides, PENT five, and HEX sixes regarding the numbers of strips/sides of the cane rod... but I'm curious about how that affects casting, or the feel of casting one versus the other?

Any and all thought appreciated.

Ed

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Sweetgrass - cane geometry

Post by Woodlakejag »

I had the opportunity to meet Jerry Kustich a few years ago and asked him this question. From what I remember of the conversation, he said they once made a group of rods of the exact same taper/length, but different number of sides (four, five, and six), for the purposes of comparing the actions. He said the only configuration that seemed to feel different in casting were the 5 sided Pentas. The quads and hex felt the same.
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I too notice a subtle difference in feel with my pents. I cast a quad once, briefly, three decades ago and cannot recall m y impressions. Some have maintained that quads are more directional, and thus more accurate. I had an interesting conversation with Per Brandin this spring asking about that. I had considered a quad but demurred as I have found that I turn my hand and wrist somewhat when concentrating upon my fishing into a 35-45 degree "reel out" attitude, and figured that would not work well with a quad's directionality. He told me basically that the flexing was the same either across the flats or across the seams and there is no "directionality". As a maker of some of the world's most renowned quads, I have every confidence in his statements.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I have all three - Winston Hex, Quad, and a Sweetgrass Penta and have owned rods with some ties to Winston - Howells and Talbots. The Quad goes where I point it. the Pents seem to have a little extra power to them, and the needs are just consistent.

Gregg

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Thanks for responses, observations, and comments... I'm considering a Sweetgrass rod, sight unseen, and just wondering how the physically configuration might make a difference...

Ed

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Ed

To answer that question you will have to consider your casting style. Each of these configurations act a little different when casting. Just get the rod and try it. I have yet to lose money on Bamboo rods I have bought over the years. Not see much in tdhe stock market.

Gregg

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Glen and Jerry hammered out some of their original Penta designs while at Winston. Those prototype rods were amazing!!!! (I have 3 of them) and the designs translated to the current rod designs at Sweetgrass. The sweet grass 7'3" 4wt penta is very similar to the Winston 7'3" 4wt prototype in both taper and feel. That little rod is among the finest I have ever cast. I spent a couple hours casting the sweetgrass version with Luca at the old shop in twin and I can not stop thinking about it, accurate, butter smooth, did I mention accurate?, and tons of reserve power. The quad and hex rods are of course also great, but the penta's are special and my favorite.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Yes, those pents are special! I have one of those first Winston pents they built on a limited basis, and it is a very sweet rod! I conversed with Jerry about an 8' four a couple of summers ago and he designed a great taper that he and Glenn made for me. One friend of mine ordered his own and is absolutely crazy about it.

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I waited 5 years for my Sweetgrass 7’9” for a 5 pent and it was worth the wait.

Gregg

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Thanks again all... I've been swapping emails with the folks at Sweetgrass and think I'm honing in on a hex....

Ed

PS... I don't have 5 years to wait, I'll be 80 then and who knows how much fishing that'll involve? :-\ :'(

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

I've got a Mantra 8' 4/5 penta. Fantastic rod. I fish it with a 4 and couldn't be happier with it. Crisp, accurate, delicate and has the backbone needed to land even large 20"+ trout.
[edit]The inventory page at Sweetgrass shows a bunch of rods[/edit]

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Let me rephrase my answer about waiting 5 years for my Pent. I was there when Sweetgrass started. They have a couple of year backlog when they got up and runnings. I told Glenn and Jerry I did note another rod until they were caught up and making rods for everyone else on their waiting list. Thier current lead time is three months and sometimes they may have the rod you are looking for in stock.

Sorry for any confusion.

Gregg

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

The boys at Sweetgrass are the only production shop left in the USA. They will get the rod you ordered in your hands quickly and with the same quality they have always had. Many on this board support the Booboys when the left Winston and made their move a success. At one point just after they opened the doors their rod backlog was about 400 rods. When I lived in Montana I got to try some of the prototypes, which was always a learning experience for me to see how the geometries worked.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

GMflyf1sh wrote:
07/14/22 05:01
Let me rephrase my answer about waiting 5 years for my Pent. I was there when Sweetgrass started. They have a couple of year backlog when they got up and runnings. I told Glenn and Jerry I did note another rod until they were caught up and making rods for everyone else on their waiting list. Thier current lead time is three months and sometimes they may have the rod you are looking for in stock.
Gregg, I placed an order and expect what I want in the October/November timeframe... I had a most pleasant conversation talking to Glenn Brackett and am excited...

Ed

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Bob

Talking to Glenn is very insightful and a wonderful experience. Kind of like the conversations with Gary Howells many years ago. Most great rod makers want to know what your quarry is and where so they can craft a rod to your specification and give you a wonderful experience. I spent many hours in Winston and the Sweetgrass shops over the years. Glenn is a very special rod maker and human being. The traditon continues with David learning from the master.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

GMflyf1sh wrote:
07/26/22 15:14
... Talking to Glenn is very insightful and a wonderful experience. Kind of like the conversations with Gary Howells many years ago. Most great rod makers want to know what your quarry is and where so they can craft a rod to your specification and give you a wonderful experience. ...
Agreed, very insightful indeed... a bit of information exchanged on both ends...

Back in the early 80s I spent an hour on the phone with Gary Howells when I ordered an 8' 5 weight from him, as a significant career promotion notation... it cost me $300 at the time, that I ended up selling for $2300 as I couldn't stand the thought of ever breaking the rod and not being able to have it fixed... that said, I turned $ from that sale into three used cane rods, as I'm a fisher of bamboo and not collector... and I fish my cane hard...

I told Glenn that I also once had an 8' 4 weight Winston Light Trout rod that I also sold decades ago, when our kids were little, money was tight, and that profit was spent spent on camping equipment the entire family could use...

So I am very much looking forward to this new piece of bamboo from Sweetgrass...

Ed

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Esopus

Gary once told a buyer he would not sell him a rod because he was not going to fish it. You could still get it fixed if you had it, never had had issue with Gary’s rods. But the best restorer in the =business was or maybe still is Glenn Brackett. Not sure if he is taking on repairs.

Gregg

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”