Korean? Bougle

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

greyreefer5
Guide

Korean? Bougle

Post by greyreefer5 »

Is this a Korean made reel? Is it convertible to Left hand retrieve?

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Korean? Bougle

Post by SpringCreek »

Yes, it is a Korean made reel. Here is a link to instructions for changing the wind direction.

https://purefishing.a.bigcontent.io/v1/ ... ionBooklet
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

Thank you very much, just a little clarification if you can -- a very well known and respected dealer is showing the exact reel I have pictured here, and is guaranteeing that it is English made because: It has a darker handle, offset screw placement on the reel seat, and a serial number that begins with "A". I am not knowledgeable on this at all, but do have two English made ( marked) Bougles in smaller sizes that have a different finish. Your thoughts?

Stilesville
Sport

Post by Stilesville »

If the serial number on the foot begins with the letter "A" it was made in England. The "A" stands for "Alnwick." From the photo, it looks like this is an "A" prefix reel.
BTW, I worked for Hardy from 2008 - 2021.

TytLynz2U2
Sport

Post by TytLynz2U2 »

In re Hardy Lightweight series serial numbers, here is my recollection. This may not be applicable to Bougles and other Hardy models. Also, apologies for the multiple edits; but pinning-down Hardy’s is complex stuff, so I have refined this as best I can:
- the word “England” appears on the backplate and there is no serial number: England
- the word “England” appears on the backplate and the serial number begins with any symbol (letter or number) other than the letter J: England
- the word “England” appears on the backplate and the serial number begins with a letter followed immediately by another letter (i.e. JD1234): England
- the word “England” appears on the backplate and the serial number begins with a single letter J followed immediately by a number (i.e. J12345): Korea
- the word “England” does NOT appear on the backplate: Korea
Last edited by TytLynz2U2 on 07/04/22 11:11, edited 4 times in total.
“Life is too short to not fish a great fly rod and a great fly reel.”

Stilesville
Sport

Post by Stilesville »

Correct.
A "J" prefix denotes Korean manufacture. Reels WITHOUT serial numbers are also of English (Alnwick) manufacture.

TytLynz2U2
Sport

Post by TytLynz2U2 »

Stilesville wrote:
07/02/22 10:14
Correct.
A "J" prefix denotes Korean manufacture.
For clarification, I think this is only true if the word “England” doesn’t appear on the backplate AND the J is immediately followed only by numbers (i.e. J12345, but not JD1234).

Here is the most simplified summary I can provide for the Lightweight series:

1. ONLY one word - the word “Hardy” - appears at the 12 o’clock position of the backplate: Korea
2. A serial number beginning with the letter “J” followed entirely by numerals (NO letters) appears on the side of the foot: Korea
3. All other Lightweight series reels not #1 or #2: England
Last edited by TytLynz2U2 on 07/04/22 18:08, edited 4 times in total.
“Life is too short to not fish a great fly rod and a great fly reel.”

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

Thanks for all the great information and Happy 4th!

Return to “Classic Reels”