Sewell Dunton 193 Custom Mystery

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

barebo
Master Guide

Sewell Dunton 193 Custom Mystery

Post by barebo »

I bought this rod last year as it just met all of my criteria and it has met that in spades. There is precious little info on Dunton rods and this one is from what extensive research I've done - rare?
Aside from copious amounts of cane in various stages from Montague, Dunton sourced blanks from South Bend, Union Hardware, and H-I. At least this is what I've garnered from what is available. I'm hoping someone has knowledge of customs from the Dunton shop that are a departure from the common "Angler's Choice" models.

My recently deceased mentor, Steve Payne (RIP my friend) bought large bundles of blanks from the H-I factory upon closure. Despite their lowly standing they had some fine raw cane and he made some outstanding rods from that stash. Steve had done repair work for Leonard and he showed me the varnish recipe for his dip process they provided him with. His dipped rods looked like they were encased in glass. Gosh, I miss him.

Anyhow, this Dunton is an 8 1/2' 2/2 with a 13/64 ferrule and casts a 5 wt. like butter. It's rather fast. Strangely though, I have yet to see any Dunton rods with a swelled butt and a superfine grip. This was made custom for Ken Botty who was editor in chief for a newspaper in Massachusetts.
Dark cane with maroon wraps and nice tight fitting nickel ferrules. I just wrapped the grip in rattan and it was the most diminutive grip I ever saw on a rod of this length. I didn't gain much in diameter but didn't want to risk removing the original reel seat with a Spanish Cedar spacer and Mr. Botty's name engraved on the butt cap to fit on a new grip.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sewell Dunton 193 Custom Mystery

Post by cwfly »

Photographs would be interesting to see. Sounds like a very nice rod.
I am curious as to how you know it was custom made for Mr. Botty.
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I'll get a few pics up for you. The label on the tube states "custom made for Ken Botty" The butt is hand inked with "custom built by Dunton for Ken Botty" and as stated Ken Botty is engraved on the butt cap. The rod has a nice finish and the wraps were very dry and I did a light overcoat and they are now fine.
Obviously, not knowing Mr. Botty, I was able to find some information online, and fish the rod in his honor.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Thanks. I guess the ink does it. I asked since I have a rod with full intermediates that was made when Mr. Botty was ten years old (or less). It is engraved on the butt cap, "Ken Botty."
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Here are the pics. I highly regard this one - it is light in the hand and feels like it's one piece. Dunton nailed this one.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”