R Chapman vintage flyrod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Taupo Tiger

R Chapman vintage flyrod

Post by Taupo Tiger »

I have recently acquired a vintage Chapman fly rod with the following details:
2-piece with bag
length 9'
weight (without reel) 7oz
cork grip with modern reel seat
smallish double foot guides
has a medium to slow action

On the rod near the grip is the following inscription:
The Napier
R Chapman
Ware, Herts
and on the other side - Made in England

The label on the khaki bag says
R Chapman Fishing Tackle
Ware, Herts
and on the top left of the label are 3 horizontal fish

The rod is in excellent condition and I would like to know if it's a trout, salmon, or coarse fishing rod. Being a sturdy rod, I suspect it would take a #7 weight line
thanks

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Re: R Chapman vintage flyrod

Post by JoeBolt »

Fascinating.
Welcome to the forum, TaupoTiger!

Taupo Tiger

Post by Taupo Tiger »

Thanks JoeBolt, glad to be here

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Kia ora TT. There are plenty of leads on this one. Try the search function on this forum and that good old stable - Google.

Taupo Tiger

Post by Taupo Tiger »

Thanks PT48. I spent an hour searching but didn't turn up anything specific. Will keep at it.

Simon.
Guide

Post by Simon. »

You could try John Chapman:- https://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/
S.
No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn’t work anyway.

Taupo Tiger

Post by Taupo Tiger »

Thanks for the link Simon, I've bookmarked it. Tomorrow if it isn't freezing I'll fit my existing flylines, 4 6 and 10, starting from the bottom, and see how they cast. There is a formula for matching lines to rods but mathematics was never my strongest subject.

Taupo Tiger

Post by Taupo Tiger »

Update. I tried out 2 of my existing flylines, DTF 4 & 6 on the split cane R Chapman. The No.4 was too light for this rod and the No.6 hardly loaded the rod tip on the back cast but fed out so sweetly so I would think a No.7 would be the ideal weight. I had to learn to cast differently with this slow-medium action and once that happened, the line went out as smooth as silk - I'm a convert. Further enquiries found that it is probably either a "Chess" or "Rushden" model and probably made between 1958 - 1970. I'm sure it would handle an English salmon no problem although I think they use Spey rods for this kind of fishing. I will get a DT7F soft flyline for the Chapman and it will be with me on the next trip up to the Tongariro river.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

For what it’s worth, the history page of the Chapman site only has 2 fly rods listed: 2 lengths of The Chess. Here’s the page for the 9’ rod: https://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=669 You can check whether that matches your rod or not by the taper information given.

Taupo Tiger

Post by Taupo Tiger »

Mahseer wrote:
07/06/22 05:46
For what it’s worth, the history page of the Chapman site only has 2 fly rods listed: 2 lengths of The Chess. Here’s the page for the 9’ rod: https://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=669 You can check whether that matches your rod or not by the taper information given.
The measurements on the website you posted are exactly the same as my rod. The only difference is the guides are not snake guides as on the blank specs, so it appears the guides have been replaced as some stage. Also the whipping colour is dark blue. I had another look at the action and would say that it's a medium as there is virtually no give in the butt section. Thanks for the info, I did have a look earlier at this page but wasn't sure.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

It’s quite possible that the guides, thread colour and, indeed, even the rod model name for this taper changed over the years.

The Chess BTW is a chalk stream in the Thames watershed northwest of London.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”