When was this Orvis Battenkill Disk 8/9 made?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me when this Battenkill Disk 8/9 made in England was made and an approximate value? I can't find any info on this particular model, noting the plastic Orvis logo instead of the embossed logo. Also, is it just a matter of flipping the main gear to change it to left hand wind?
Thanks, Jim.

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Re: When was this Orvis Battenkill Disk 8/9 made?

Post by GrsdLnr »

I can answer your last question - yes, the "R" visible on the gear means RHW - flip the gear to change it to LHW.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I recall around 1995-2005
Although a good solid reel it doesn’t have much value imho. Around $100-125 is my guess
Last edited by ibookje on 07/04/22 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Thanks for the reply, it's sort of interesting that you can just flip the gear to change it from RHW to LHW when the gear is chamfered only on the one side. It doesn't really mesh with the drag gear as well when it's flipped, but it still works fine.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

I have a few of the battenkills from earlier (90-92), reliable reels for hard fishing and transport. Last one I bought on 2nd hand mkt. was a 5/6 disc., 1990ish (gold embossed logo) for $110 if I remember correctly.

Return to “Classic Reels”