9ft Rod ID

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

boltorg

9ft Rod ID

Post by boltorg »

New to the forum, thanks in advance for any ID help on this rod I recently discovered at an estate sale. 9ft in length.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 9ft Rod ID

Post by jeffkn1 »

It has characteristics of a South Bend, not a regular model but perhaps a trade rod. The rainbow colored thread was used in the late Thirties on the model 57 and 357, however the winding check is the South Bend style commonly seen on their double built models, which would exclude the 57/357 rods. Of course it may have been redone in rainbow as a replacement for something else.
There's a lot missing in the way of clues but trade rods can be like that, always throwing you a curve or two. All the hardware is South Bend. The combination of hardware and cosmetics is not standard as far as I know. Maybe someone else can come up with something.
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 07/09/22 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

boltorg

Post by boltorg »

Wow, thanks for the insight and I really dig the rainbow thread!

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

Agreed on SB trade rod appearance, especially the reel seat which I believe Shakespeare used in the 30's though with the hood hidden. Main remaining clues would be closeup images of female ferrules. May as well retake the males as well.

brownslake

Post by brownslake »

Beautiful vintage rod wraps....

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”