Forgotten Flies - NTM

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

NshTrtBum
Sport

Forgotten Flies - NTM

Post by NshTrtBum »

I recently purchased a copy of Forgotten Flies and I've just began to explore it's wealth of knowledge.

Over the years I've seen the a few board members refer to specific flies in their posts, but I would like to know how others have found it useful?

I've thought of how I can share it with my tying buddies without throwing my back out ???

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Forgotten Flies - NTM

Post by Eperous »

It was a pricey book when I purchased it new and unused, I can't imagine what you paid for it now... :-\

I like it, as a reference book... plus I enjoyed reading about the anglers whose patterns are featured... :D

Enjoy your purchase,

Ed

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

I find it a mixed bag. The DeFeo flies--OMG--they are simply wonderful. And the foldouts of Carrie Stevens originals--likewise. But the commissioned Carrie Stevens patterns are simply awful--overdone--and not at all reflective of her proportions or design principles. So--for any fly you look at it the book, check who tied it before you trust it.

bb

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

NshTrtBum
Sport

Post by NshTrtBum »

Ed,

I've been watching the price ever since the publisher started sending marketing to NFLCC, but I must admit to getting it at a decent price and I plan to use it like you :D

Thank you, NTB

NshTrtBum
Sport

Post by NshTrtBum »

Bb,

I've enjoyed reading your posts and I will definitely follow your advice. I've been staring at too many commercial flies over the years not to notice the issues, but now that life is giving me more time I'm trying to improve my techniques and share my creations with friends and family.

I'll never tye commercially unless the 401k runs out :rollin

NTB

Return to “Book Talk”