Robert Bolts new models

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

joep
Master Guide

Robert Bolts new models

Post by joep »

Bob just started on my 8'2 4wt recently and i was wondering if anyone has cast his new 8'2 4wt or 8'3 5wt and what thier impressions are. I have 3 of his rods right now but i was curious about the action of this rod.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Robert Bolts new models

Post by Brooks »

I had the pleasure of fishing for a couple days at the Ranch Opener (Last Chance) with Robert. It was windy. He and John Sindlan (Bighorn guide extraordinaire) had a couple of Bolt's "no excuses" rods--very quick, and IMO, perfect western fast/medium-fast actions, for big waters when tight loops are desired.

Awesome rods--I've a call into Sindlan so he can remind me which models we cast. I believe they were both of the above mentioned.
Every component made by Bolt. Stunning rods, with no reason to ever wish you had a carbon fiber rod in hand because of wind or pushing it out there for bulls-eye accuracy.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

If you own three of his rods, you should be able to make a good guess about the action?…

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Sindlan just called me back. The 8'2" #4 is the new taper, the "no excuses" model. Really quick. I'm gonna have to order one.
(way different than any of the "Howells-esque" tapers)

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Bob's a master. I like his new, darker wraps, too. Gives off a Payne vibe.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Brooks wrote:
07/12/22 12:10
Sindlan just called me back. The 8'2" #4 is the new taper, the "no excuses" model. Really quick. I'm gonna have to order one.
(way different than any of the "Howells-esque" tapers)
Is there a scale weight listed on the rod for the 8'2" 4wt (or the other "no Excuses" 8'3" for a 5)?

e.g., Gary's standard 8' 4 wt was 3 5/8oz, though the 8' 5 wts came in a variety of scale weights.

Thanks

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

ibookje wrote:
07/12/22 11:59
If you own three of his rods, you should be able to make a good guess about the action?…
These are not based on Howell tapers, wondering how much they strayed from his "normal" action.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Brooks wrote:
07/12/22 11:43
I had the pleasure of fishing for a couple days at the Ranch Opener (Last Chance) with Robert. It was windy. He and John Sindlan (Bighorn guide extraordinaire) had a couple of Bolt's "no excuses" rods--very quick, and IMO, perfect western fast/medium-fast actions, for big waters when tight loops are desired.

Awesome rods--I've a call into Sindlan so he can remind me which models we cast. I believe they were both of the above mentioned.
Every component made by Bolt. Stunning rods, with no reason to ever wish you had a carbon fiber rod in hand because of wind or pushing it out there for bulls-eye accuracy.

Thanks, sounds like a great rod. I appreciate the feedback.

sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Hi All,
The 835 and the 824 are rod designs that suggested to Robert Bolt for technical Dry fly fishing for all fishing conditions. I’ve been a Montana fishing guide for 25 years and a huge fan of bamboo.I’ve been guiding Robert for close to 20 years. I’m a fan of winston and Howell tapers but these rods are nothing like that. These rods as Brooks said it best are no excuse bamboo rods.They are designed to cast around the clock to turn over a fly which ever direction the wind is blowing. They are able to cast beautiful reach cast without shock waves. As a huge fan of the Henry’s Fork and the Bighorn rivers they are able to play and land large trout without taking a set.The 835 is a true 5 wt able to fish Hoppers, green drakes, Brown drakes, pmds , Baetis , tricos. I’ve fished all these species with this rod it’s a powerful 5wt. The 824 is a true 4 wt we designed for fishing the west. It would be also a perfect east coast rod for the Farmington , Housatonic and Catskills. These rods were not designed to lawn cast they were made to be cast while standing in a a river that is when they truly shine. I hope this helps clarify any questions.
Tight lines, John Sindland

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

sinbad wrote:
08/06/22 09:00
Hi All,
The 835 and the 824 are rod designs that suggested to Robert Bolt for technical Dry fly fishing for all fishing conditions. I’ve been a Montana fishing guide for 25 years and a huge fan of bamboo.I’ve been guiding Robert for close to 20 years. I’m a fan of winston and Howell tapers but these rods are nothing like that. These rods as Brooks said it best are no excuse bamboo rods.They are designed to cast around the clock to turn over a fly which ever direction the wind is blowing. They are able to cast beautiful reach cast without shock waves. As a huge fan of the Henry’s Fork and the Bighorn rivers they are able to play and land large trout without taking a set.The 835 is a true 5 wt able to fish Hoppers, green drakes, Brown drakes, pmds , Baetis , tricos. I’ve fished all these species with this rod it’s a powerful 5wt. The 824 is a true 4 wt we designed for fishing the west. It would be also a perfect east coast rod for the Farmington , Housatonic and Catskills. These rods were not designed to lawn cast they were made to be cast while standing in a a river that is when they truly shine. I hope this helps clarify any questions.
Tight lines, John Sindland
Hello, great information. Do you happen to know the scale weights on these 2 models? Thanks!

sinbad

Post by sinbad »

824 3 5/8
835 4 1/8

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

sinbad wrote:
08/06/22 10:24
824 3 5/8
835 4 1/8
Thanks!

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Robert Bolt has been making fine rods in the Howells actions, but has now been developing his own tapers and styles, maintaining Gary's craftsmanship and aesthetics. John Sindland is a regular on the Henry's Fork as well as a Bighorn guide, so he understands the demands of the fishing and the weather, especially the wind. He's an excellent angler, so his advice to Robert about making models more suitable to the bigger waters wide open to the afternoon winds is spot on. Can't wait to try those latest models.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

I’ve always read that Gary was a very accomplished angler as well—lots of days on the water, devoted student of the sport and plenty of fish caiught in the same places mentioned. For those who know, is the overall taper difference between the Howells / slightly faster early Bolts and these new Bolts one of personal casting preference or something else?

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

cdmoore, I can't tell you about early Bolt's but I can compare from my casting of Robert's new "no excuses" rods compared to a Howells rod. I own a Howells 3 5/8 oz 8 for 4, 2/2. My Howells rod is a lovely "medium" action (slow in the carbon world) that throws an accurate, yet soft presentation--at least for how I cast.

When fishing places like the Ranch (Henry's Fork), the Howells is a rod that has me scrutinizing the wind in the parking lot: will it get windy (yes)? Is it too windy to confidently fish that rod with all the different angles of presentation that are required at the Ranch? Will I need to walk back to my car later to pull out a rod that will give me an edge in the wind?

That's where I came up with my label "no excuses" rod. The new rod that Sindland worked on with Robert is just that. It drills tight loops. It is fast. I wouldn't have to make excuses about how I can't quite get the fly where I want it to go. With Robert's new rod, I wouldn't have resort to a carbon fiber rod.

On a smaller spring creek that is protected from the elements (wind) I would probably prefer the Howells. It protects fine tippets really well. It is a great rod to 'play' a fish on--which we all know, is often overlooked. But much of my fishing is in big waters, exposed often to wind, and often involves casts well beyond 30 feet. My quest as of late as been building a small quiver of "no excuses" rods (My Tom Morgan Rodsmiths 8'3" for 6 is such a rod).

I'm going to get one of the new Bolts.

As for Howells being an accomplished angler--I've read that too, and know a few people that actually knew Gary Howells. One thing to remember about the years that Howells fished: the western big water rod back in those days was a seven-weight. The seven was popular, just as the 5-weights of today are the "Montana standard". A slower Howells 7 weight handles the wind fairly well, or at least better than a Howells 4-weight.

Many anglers today fishing the Ranch or the Bighorn, or the Missouri, use 4-weights (carbon fiber rods) because with modern materials and tapers, they deliver accurate casts (in wind), but the diminutive weight of a 4-weight with a nice long leader doesn't land as hard as a 6 or 7.

So, I'm always looking for that bamboo build that allows me to stick with bamboo, a no excuses rod. . . .because. . . well, like many here, I'm getting a bit eccentric in my old age, and fishing means more to me with a beloved cane rod in hand.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Thanks, brooks, for the perspective. During the main part of COVID, I went on a quest for my first graphite rod in ages, a 6wt, just for this reason (and to stave off boredom). Even though I have a couple of nice 6wt cane rods, I went with graphite because I didn't want to worry about an errant cast in heavy wind. Hopefully when I get around to making a 6wt for myself, I'll be able to come up with something that casts as well as people like these new Bolts.

Look forward to any other comments...

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”