Summerfest at Catskill FF Center and Hardy Cup

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Summerfest at Catskill FF Center and Hardy Cup

Post by Tom Smithwick »

The annual Summerfest event at the Catskill Center will be held on August 6th and 7th this year, on the grounds of the Center in Livingston Manor, NY. This has always been an excellent midsummer getaway featuring various events and an array of vendors. Look for further announcements in this space.
The Hardy Cup casting competition will be held on August 6th at the event, as part of the 150th anniversary celebration of the iconic fly fishing organization we all know as the House of Hardy.
Since the initial announcement, there have been some significant changes to the rules of the event in an effort to encourage more participation, and a more enjoyable experience for all, regardless of fly fishing and casting experience. We look forward to seeing old friends, and making some new ones.

RULES FOR HARDY CUP, TO BE HELD AT CFFCM AUGUST 6 & 7, 2022
> Entry is FREE and open to everyone who wishes to participate: no separate divisions for Age, Sex, etc. > THIS IS A FUN EVENT AND ALL ARE ENCOURAGED TO JOIN IN!
> Entrants are limited to using bamboo fly rods by any maker, past or present, up to and including 8' in length and taking a fly line up to but no heavier than 5 weight. Modern, over-the-counter fly lines by any maker are allowed. NO "custom" fly lines!
> Leaders are to be supplied by the contestants and must be between 7 1/2 and 9 feet in length, any tippet diameter. Judges will measure the leader.
> A “Hookless Fly” will be used for scoring both Distance and Accuracy. The "Hookless Fly" will be a tuft of yarn applied to the contestants' leader by one of the judges and trimmed to measure 1/2 inch.
> Judges will have FINAL SAY as to whether a contestant's outfit meets the above criteria and is within the rules
> Casting scores will be based on CUMULATIVE POINTS for both Distance and Accuracy events. TWO casts for Distance, TWO casts for Accuracy.
> Participants will be allowed to practice their casting in both Distance and Accuracy ON A SEPARATE COURSE before actual scoring casts are made on the designated course.
> Points to be awarded for TWO Distance casts, with ONE POINT awarded for EACH FOOT of the cast from the designated casting point to the final RESTING point of the FLY WITHIN THE COURSE BOUNDRIES.
> Additional points can be accrued by placing the regulation hookless fly in the two 30” target rings set at 25 and 40 feet. ONE CAST at each ring. Placing the fly in a ring will count 50 points towards the final score. Up to 100 additional points can be accrued by placing the fly in both rings.
> Where the Fly COMES TO REST will determine both distance and the accuracy. For Distance, even if the Fly COMES TO REST behind the farthest distance the fly line has traveled, i.e., closer to the caster, the position of the Fly will determine the length of the cast.
> In the Accuracy component, the Fly must COME TO REST either within the target hoop or resting on the hoop itself. “Hovering” the fly over the target during false casting will be allowed.
> A hypothetical score: First Distance cast 73', second cast 68' = 141 points. First Accuracy Cast 50 points, Second Accuracy Cast 0 points, = 50 points for a combined total of 191 overall points.
> In the event of a tie, the tied casters will have a Cast Off of two distance and two accuracy casts each.
> Hardy and the CFFCM reserve rights to make any necessary changes to the above rules at any time BEFORE the first contestant begins to cast.
1st Prize: A Hardy Rod and Reel outfit of the winner’s choice.
2nd Prize: A Hardy Reel of the winner’s choice.
3rd Prize: A Hardy Rod of the winner’s choice.

JerryG
Sport

Re: Summerfest at Catskill FF Center and Hardy Cup

Post by JerryG »

Hello All,
I hope to meet some of you at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center's Summerfest this weekend, August 6 & 7. Please stop by my table under the pavilion between Dean Smith & Hoagy Carmichael. Steve Woit is across from us. Other board members have tables also. Come introduce yourselves so we can put a face to a name. I will be happy to sign any books which are available at the gift shop. Looking forward to this weekend. Jerry

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Jerry, I look forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang. I'm pleased to set up again at Summerfest after a short hiatus. I'll also have a table in the pavilion (Thornton River Fly Tackle), across from Hoagy, Jerry and Dean. I look forward to meeting old friends and making new ones. See you there!

C.Seidner

Post by C.Seidner »

I will be there for sure.
What can Possibly go wrong????

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

I'll be under that pavilion along with Jerry and the rest...look for the Hawaiian shirts and cigar. 8)

hardyboy
Sport

Post by hardyboy »

I'll be there manning the Theodore Gordon Flyfishers table. Stop by and say hello!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Jeez this sounds like huge fun!
Can’t be there since I’m in The Netherlands.

Anyone going there, could you please give me greetings to Hoagy? We did a small interview on my blog some time ago.

The interview is here:
https://bassbug.blogspot.com/2020/09/q- ... chael.html

Thanks everyone
Jay

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Looking forward to it! Always a great crowd and a stellar venue.

In addition to the folks mentioned, Fred Grafeld, Wayne Grauer, Bob Selb, Dana Gray and others will be set up.

My car is packed with tackle treasures and I'll be on my way after work. See you there !

Dean.

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

I was sure I was going to make it this year…..not able to get away but I will be there in spirit. Have a great event and show. Please post a few pics if you can. The best to you all, Paul

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Saturday there was a nice crowd. Hot, as has been the custom in the Catskills,, but there was a nice breeze. Glad to meet a couple of you gents there!

THanks to JerryG for your kindness and good conversation, and a shout to Short Tip for your help getting me into my first Leonard. I hope to get it out on the water tomorrow. There is a 3 3/8" St. George in the house wearing a DT5F Airflo that should match very nicely!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Brier549
Guide

Post by Brier549 »

It was good to see you and everyone else there. Noah and I had a great time ! Next the rod makers gathering! Mike.

C.Seidner

Post by C.Seidner »

A happy 106th Birthday to Agnes Van Put, a good time as always.
What can Possibly go wrong????

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Was a great time, as always. Great venue, tons of tackle and best of all, lots of friends.

Dean.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

It was a great weekend with friends old and new. Found a new home for some classics and picked up a few new items as well. Thanks to Caneghost, and I really enjoyed conversations with him and lots of other folks. Come for the tackle, stay for the craic!

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Any public results or video of the Hardy Cup?
I would love to watch quality casting and a good Catskill time!

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Hi Joe - There is a short video of Masaki Takemoto making a 100 foot cast with a 5 weight line here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/361427534033206
He did not win the event on the basis of distance casting, although the top casters were only separated by a couple feet. He won on the basis of a couple perfect accuracy casts. As you can see, Mr Takemoto is not a big person, but his casting technique is as close to flawless as you are likely to see.
There will be a brief article about the event in the local paper today. When it becomes available, I will post it here.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

As published in today's edition of The Sullivan County Democrat:
Streamside
By Judy Van Put
August 7, 2022
Summerfest!

Over the first weekend of August, the place to be was at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum, situated along the banks of the Willowemoc at 1031 Old Route 17, Livingston Manor, which hosted its annual Summerfest celebration. Beginning bright and early (shortly after sunrise) fly-fishing enthusiasts crossed the iron bridge to set up their tarps and tables under the pavilion and on the big field bordering the pond. Despite the weather forecast’s threats of possible thunderstorms, the sizeable crowd grew as the morning drew on, beginning at 9 am. Twenty vendor stations were on hand, offering everything that could be desired by those who love to fish – or who would love to try. From books to hooks, rods and reels, antiques, collectible tackle and fly-tying materials, waders, T-shirts and more, visitors wandered from table to table, sometimes sitting in a vacant chair to chat and just enjoy spending time with other fishing enthusiasts, seeing friends old and new.
In the walkway between the vendor tables and tents, men and women were trying out rods, reels and lines, in addition to casting demonstrations that were ongoing; others were practicing their skills in preparation for the annual Hardy Cup Bamboo Casting Competition (in celebration of the 150th Anniversary of Hardy) which was ongoing all weekend.
The Hardy Cup was open to everyone who wished to participate, and is a fun event with no separate divisions for age, sex, etc. Entrants must use a bamboo fly rod of up to and including 8 feet in length, with a fly line no heavier than 5-weight and a leader from 7 ½ to 9 feet in length. Hookless flies (a tuft of yarn) were attached to each contestant’s leader by one of the judges and were used for scoring in both Distance and Accuracy. Cumulative points were awarded for two distance casts, with one point awarded for each foot of the cast from the designated starting point to the final resting point of the fly within the course boundaries. Additional points were accrued in the Accuracy target rings, with one cast at each of the two target rings set at 25 and 40 feet; placing the fly in a ring earned an additional 50 points.
In addition, the CFFC offered free entry to the museum on both Saturday and Sunday from 10 – 4 pm, with hosts Dave Catizone, Tom Mason and John Shaner on hand for the new Heritage exhibit, along with the Guest Fly Tyer Mike Stewart in the museum.
Livingston Manor Central School staff and students provided hotdogs and hamburgers, drinks and snacks for lunch on both days, and Saturday afternoon’s visitors were treated to live Honky Tonk music with Connie Mack and Steam.
By 1 pm, the crowd had swelled, and the group reassembled at the Wulff Pavilion up on the hill, to celebrate Agnes Van Put’s 106th birthday. Agnes was resplendent in a lovely white suit and was happy to cut and serve the delicious birthday cake, which was baked locally at Peck’s market and beautifully decorated with a scene depicting a deep blue pond lined with (edible) stones and trees and a large fish leaping out of the water! Agnes has been the hostess at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center Gift Shop for many years and is known for her sunny personality as well as her delicious homemade soups and cookies, which she brings to the CFFC each year on its Opening Day celebration.
Sunday’s events began at 9 am, again with vendors and free Museum entry all day featuring a Kids’ Fly-Tying event and a “meet the artist” with Kevin Storms.
The winners of the Hardy Cup were as follows:
1st Prize, a Hardy Rod and Reel outfit, awarded to Masaki Takemoto of Japan, an exquisite Bamboo rod maker and major supporter of the CFFC&M. Masaki earned a casting score of 198 feet, the combined distance of two casts. He also scored a perfect 100 in the accuracy event for a total winning score of 298 points.
2nd Prize, a Hardy Reel, was awarded to Mike McFarland; and 3rd Prize, a Hardy Rod, awarded to Derek Eberly.

The annual Summerfest & Hardy Cup Casting Competition program event helps to fund the ongoing angling education programs for both children and adults; the mission of the CFFC&M is to preserve the heritage of fly fishing in the Catskills and to educate future generations.
The CFFC&M is looking for new members, and invites everyone to cross the bridge, sign up for an educational program or walk their Nature trails. For additional invitation, please visit www.cffcm.com or call 845-439-4810.

Mike Canazon came by and cast some rods:

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Thank you, Mr. Smithwick! I don't FB, but truly appreciate the update and article.

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”