New member private messages

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

daverson828

New member private messages

Post by daverson828 »

I had been corresponding with a few folks by private message, but when I tried to respond today, there was no reply button. I went to start a new message, and it said there was a minimum post number for new members. Seems strange since I had sent a few messages as recently as yesterday. Any way I can get in touch with these folks? What is the minimum post number for PMs? (I know other forums have this rule as well, for good reason)
Thanks!

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New member private messages

Post by wrong66 »

Same thing here. No "Reply" button. Been that way all day for me.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Says I am "Not Authorized" to send private messages. What?

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

wrong66, you should not have a problem. For others there is now a minimum post count of 25 to use Private Messages. It's kind of high but best could be done at this time with our system. I will post more on this on a couple of other spots but it will finally put an end to all the scammer WTB jokers that have been so much trouble for some time now. Other boards live something like this and ours will be much improved in the long run.

Nick

johnbontrager
Sport

Post by johnbontrager »

25 is extreme for those of us who are reserved with their thoughts and comments.

daverson828

Post by daverson828 »

Bassman, I understand that for sure, and like you say it's the norm on some other boards. Does that apply to responding to messages that have been sent to me, though?

johnbontrager
Sport

Post by johnbontrager »

That's what I'm finding. Can't respond to say Thank You.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Okay, found the setting where I changed the minimum number of posts to 10 before PM's are available. Once you reach that number PM's will be available again.

Mark

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

bassman wrote:
07/17/22 00:39
wrong66, you should not have a problem. For others there is now a minimum post count of 25 to use Private Messages. It's kind of high but best could be done at this time with our system. I will post more on this on a couple of other spots but it will finally put an end to all the scammer WTB jokers that have been so much trouble for some time now. Other boards live something like this and ours will be much improved in the long run.

Nick
I should not have a problem, but I do. Can't reply to any messages (no reply button anywhere) and it takes a half dozen tries to even get on the site. Been going on for days. Oh, and I have almost 4,000 posts.

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

[/quote]
I should not have a problem, but I do. Can't reply to any messages (no reply button anywhere) and it takes a half dozen tries to even get on the site. Been going on for days. Oh, and I have almost 4,000 posts.
[/quote]

Likewise … replied to a PM yesterday morning, but couldn’t thereafter - nor today.

brownslake

Post by brownslake »

I'm not quite sure I understand how this will keep the scammers away by making this change to the forum?

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

brownslake wrote:
07/17/22 13:59
I'm not quite sure I understand how this will keep the scammers away by making this change to the forum?
Because scammers are not part of the community, generally, so that comes with a low or zero post count. Consider this inconvenience to be like removing your shoes in the TSA line at the airport because of the actions of someone else.

Bassman Moderator note: Exactly right. The WTB and ISO ads are being bombed all over the internet forums by scammers joining just to try to scam our members. These people normally have ZERO posts or a nonsensical post just to get in. We have had a few members get caught by these scammers and this will prevent it happening again since few are willing to take time needed to have 10 quality posts just to attempt their scams.
Nick

brownslake

Post by brownslake »

Thanks for the reply. I've been a member of the forum for a long time and enjoy reading a lot of information and comments but I don't always leave my own reply to something I've read. And now I'm required to have at least 10 posts if I want to send someone a private message? I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to not always leaving a comment,but I do enjoy reading comments by others. Sadly,scammers will always find a way.

johnbontrager
Sport

Post by johnbontrager »

Greatly appreciate the number of post being reduced to 10. Suspect whether it be 10 or 25 will not completely solve this issue, but any deterrent is better than none.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

I'm pretty sure that there is a systemic problem going on in the forum, perhaps related to the other current thread. I also cannot compose a PM (I am not authorized).

Dale

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

dale wrote:
07/17/22 20:44
I'm pretty sure that there is a systemic problem going on in the forum, perhaps related to the other current thread. I also cannot compose a PM (I am not authorized).

Dale
Same here. There's more than one thing going on, for sure. Half the time, I can't even access the site, much less compose a PM. I'm "Not Authorized" either.

brownslake

Post by brownslake »

I totally agree there's more than one thing going on here with the forum,.

slate

Post by slate »

Agreed. I have at least 10 posts but am only credited with four.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Still no "REPLY" button for PM's. What's up Mark?

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Seems to work this morning. Thanks.

Return to “Technical Support”