Help Identifying my new W&M Victory & purchasing the right line

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jpoetzl

Help Identifying my new W&M Victory & purchasing the right line

Post by jpoetzl »

Been fly fishing a long time. First time going bamboo...thought I'd start out with some blue-collar stuff. More interested in the catch than the artistry of the product at this point.

Have a few questions that I wonder if someone could help me out a bit on...but first the info:

-Purchased a W&M Victory rod from Etsy (of all places). Supposedly it was restored by Jim Clarkson of Raptor Rod Works of Chico CA (Since deceased). Seller claims Jim apprenticed under the direction of the great rod builder and innovator Walton Powell. Seller further claims the rod is 8'7" assembled and weighs 5.2 oz. Original tube not included, so no way to verify model #. I'm not sure if it is a 9050, 9053, or 8040, or... I don't have it yet to measure ferrules...and I don't have callipers. Here's the rod:

-Also purchased an Allcocks Popular Reel (3 1/4 inch) to pair with it.

Questions:
1. Any educated guesses about my fly rod model number?
2. Did I do ok with the rod and reel pairing? Will they work together ok.
3. Any suggestions for fly-line? Was going to go with Sylk. Any ideas of what weight to get?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Help Identifying my new W&M Victory & purchasing the right line

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

If the rod is really 8 feet, 7 inches and weighs 5.2 oz, you can rule out the 8040 since that would be 8 feet and weigh 4 oz. A 9053 would weigh 5.3 oz and a 9050 would weigh 5 oz; however, they would both be 9 feet long.

Tight Lines- Ken

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Unless it is a cut-down 9' rod, I would think it is an 8642 with the seat unscrewed, in which case most, including myself, fish it with a five weight line. A five or six weight Sylk would work well.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Shrimpman wrote:
07/18/22 18:56
Unless it is a cut-down 9' rod, I would think it is an 8642 with the seat unscrewed, in which case most, including myself, fish it with a five weight line. A five or six weight Sylk would work well.
I agree, you likely have a 8642 and the reel should pair well.

jpoetzl

Post by jpoetzl »

Shrimpman and Newutah,

Thanks. Appreciate it. I bet you’re right. Thanks a bunch.

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

Nice looking tackle. Rod is likely an 8642 with 17/11 ferrules as others have mentioned. I balance these with larger and heavier reels and even then add lead core. You may be unpleasantly surprised at the heft of the rod if coming directly from carbon, but the creamy smooth 8642 is about as nice feeling an 8.5 footer as you are likely to find, a true 5 weight, and in the W&M version capable of handling larger fish. I encourage being patient in getting the reel weight tweaked to your favored balance point.

I find it unusual that the Granger Victory and Wright & Mcgill scripts are on adjacent flats.

Your reel is a rebadged J.W. Young Condex. The glass rod forum has tons of info about these reels.

It is nice to see an alternative marketplace used to buy nice tackle.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The rod shaft markings are obviously not original.

JonesvilleRes

Post by JonesvilleRes »

I was a good friend of Jim’s and remember this rod pretty clearly. He was, as you say, a Powell expert and was not overly familiar with this maker. He did a ton of research as he went and it turned out pretty well. I agree that it’s not a shortened 9’ rod.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have a Goodwin Granger 8642 and previously owned a Wright & McGill Granger Victory 8642. I fish(ed) both with a variety of 5 weight lines from a DT5F Sylk to a couple of Rio lines like the Trout LT WF5F. A friend recently told me he is fishing a four line on his 8642 but I found that surprising.

You have a great rod there to get started in bamboo and it should give you a lifetime of pleasant use. Granger rods are special among production fly rods in my opinion and those of many others.

Enjoy!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Well, I think you have a great rod. Sylks are good but I really like the "406" double tapers. I'd try the 5 wt first.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

I am not an expert ,but I too recently bought my first WM/Granger.The gentleman advertised it as a 7'8". I found that the reel seat was screwed all the way out and stuck gently there. He also measured the entire length of each section.All said and done ,once it was put together and the reel seat loosened up after many years of not being used,it is a sweet 7633. These are far from blue collar rods!I think a bit of a misnomer.These rods sold for $50 in 1950. I found a pay stub of my Dad's a few years ago.He worked in a the local Tap and Die factory in same town as Montagues,Sewell N,Dunton and now T &T, I digress, anyway his take home pay in 1955 was $84. I doubt , blue collar guys were going to pay nearly a 1/2 to a weeks paycheck on a fly rod. In the high priced techy world maybe. Perhaps I'm wrong.I usually am. Cheers,Chet

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Cortland 444 Peach Double taper. It is still God's fly line.

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

My Wright and McGill Granger 8642 is sweet with a 406 WF 5 (floating) and Cortland Camo intermediate 5 (subsurface) for lakes...

And a 406 DT 5 for rivers...

jpoetzl

Post by jpoetzl »

JonesvilleRes wrote:
07/20/22 00:34
I was a good friend of Jim’s and remember this rod pretty clearly. He was, as you say, a Powell expert and was not overly familiar with this maker. He did a ton of research as he went and it turned out pretty well. I agree that it’s not a shortened 9’ rod.

jpoetzl

Post by jpoetzl »

DonT wrote:
07/20/22 11:49
Well, I think you have a great rod. Sylks are good but I really like the "406" double tapers. I'd try the 5 wt first.
Thank you. Sorry for the. Delay, I hadn’t checked on this post since viewing the initial responses.

Jake

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”