Researching a Shakespeare bamboo fly rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

ward

Researching a Shakespeare bamboo fly rod

Post by ward »

I received the above-referenced rod from a friend. It is a Shakespeare, Premier, Honor Built Honor Sold, A-1308-T-8-1/2' three pieces, two tips. It has the snap lock reel seat. It is in good condition. In reading old chats on this site and other web searches, the best I can determine it was made between 1941-1950. Trying to confirm the date range and the line weight of this model plus any other information.

I just got back from Colorado and it worked well catching 16-18" rainbow trout. I used a 7-weight line but suspect it was originally perhaps a 6-weight rating. Also, any recommendations on what reel manufacturer and model may have been popular for this rod. Appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

barebo
Master Guide

Re: Researching a Shakespeare bamboo fly rod

Post by barebo »

Would like to see a pic or 2. I have a 1312T "Supreme" that is also 8-1/2' and it has very fine tips and I fish a WF5 and it performs well. Does your rod have white script? The T designates it as a trout rod. Some models had a B for bass and the taper / line size was heavier.

There is a section on here for viewing Shakespeare catalogs. It should help you some. Enjoy the rod!

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I did the groundwork for you - there is more info out there. This is from 1937 - perhaps the "T" model was introduced later?

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

I would enjoy seeing photos of your 1308T. Probably a South Bend rod if it has a snap lock seat. Edwards/Bristol may have made the earliest versions but with a different seat. Ferrules and winding check area photos would be nice.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I believe skimpole is correct - a bit further browsing turned up this page.

flyroder72
Sport

Post by flyroder72 »

I have a 1308T Premier in the 9' length. I use an early Shakespeare model 1895 with the bakelite spool filled with DT7F Presidential Wonderline.
I believe mine was made in 1950. This was the last year of the Premier production, it does not have blackened ferrules.
If you look under the information about makers and manufacturers header you will find a list of Shakespeare catalogs posted by Wrong66.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Shakespeare made a series of reels throughout the first half of the 1900s that would be a good match for this rod, including the Russell and the AuSable. They also stamped their reels for other companies, including South Bend. There are usually a bunch of them on Ebay.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”