USPS triangle boxes

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

USPS triangle boxes

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi folk’s, I’d like to advise a seller in the US how to obtain one of these handy shipping boxes. His local PO has a limited supply of packing goods in stock. My understanding was that they are available free from the USPS, or at least cheaply. How does one get them, can they be ordered online or does one need to visit a USPS location with extensive shipping supplies in person?

Thanks for any advice. I’d like to help him locate a triangle box or a strong square shipping box for a single tube (less than 3 feet).

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: USPS triangle boxes

Post by Brooks »

Online USPS
And yes, free.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Brooks wrote:Online USPS
And yes, free.
Albeit somewhat slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Terrific, thanks very much guys.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Get both sizes - easier to put the two together for a longer shipping tube.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Jim and John, thanks very much for the links and tip on getting both sizes. I’ll forward the links to the seller.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Fast delivery, doesn't require a trip anywhere and they give you 10. It doesn't get any better than that. I've used dozens of them, and have also received dozens containing rods, a few of which were nearly folded in half. They are fine for common rods, but I would go elsewhere for anything that can't be replaced.

Cheers,
Joe

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

My biggest gripe about these boxes is that the cardboard is too thin and the assembled box is not strong enough. I've received several rods packaged with these that were bent and torn. One solution, if you want to take a bit of extra time, is to laminate two together with titebond and weighted with books or similar while they're still flat. You have to trim off the flaps on the interior layer first. The resultant box is extremely strong. The box blanks are "free" so it doesn't cost more than the extra time. And FWIW, I would never join two of these single layer boxes together for a longer rod because the extra length makes them even more vulnerable to damage - not to mention that it might invalidate a damage claim. Sorry about the tardy post - I was out in WY for the last couple weeks :)

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Another alternative is to visit a local plumbing and heating supply. They stock stove pipe and various other items in long cartons and are usually willing to empty a carton and offering a few bucks for the "coffee fund" doesn't hurt. Carpet tubes are extremely strong but will roll from a conveyor unless boxed as well. It used to be much easier to ship rods and I've sent several long and recurve bows throughout the states but have given up on that!

Rio Grande King
Guide

Post by Rio Grande King »

I have used them for years, as the triangular shape prevents the carton from rolling. However, I always ship the rod in its original tube, and that is put into a capped PVC tube. It is overkill, but if the package gets delivered, the rod is intact.

Ken

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I use the triangular USPS boxes, BUT I 'double box' them with a heavy 3-3 1/2" diameter cardboard tube which easily slips inside for more protection.

One caveat--I've been told that if you combine these triangular boxes for more length that it NEGATES your USPS insurance. I don't know if that's true or not, but I continue to do it anyway. Caveat emptor!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Flyman615 wrote:
08/12/22 17:15
One caveat--I've been told that if you combine these triangular boxes for more length that it NEGATES your USPS insurance. I don't know if that's true or not, but I continue to do it anyway. Caveat emptor!
Scott Z.
Curious to know where the person who told you this got this caveat? Never heard of this happening. Never had it happen to me after many shippments. Maybe someplace on the USPS web site? Any members experience this?
If you don't know it's true, why then propagate the rumor as it currently appears to be?

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
07/20/22 21:56
Fast delivery, doesn't require a trip anywhere and they give you 10. It doesn't get any better than that. I've used dozens of them, and have also received dozens containing rods, a few of which were nearly folded in half. They are fine for common rods, but I would go elsewhere for anything that can't be replaced.

Cheers,
Joe
Absolutely, for common rods only. Putting two together is a recipe for disaster. And, they should only be used ONCE, if at all.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

steeliefool wrote:
08/14/22 12:18
Flyman615 wrote:
08/12/22 17:15
Scott Z.
If you don't know it's true, why then propagate the rumor as it currently appears to be?
I mentioned it because I thought someone here on the Form might know if it's true or not. You obviously don't.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

A bit more than a "mention" I think and yes, I don't know if it's true. I point this out as I have NEVER heard or experienced any such thing having shipped many rods using the doubled up tubes. Apparently neither have you.
A sign of the times I guess.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Thanks for all of the input and tips guys. The seller did indeed order a pack of 10 and he received them after a week or so - for free as stated. The rod and rod tube inside arrived to me undamaged, and just one small dent to the triangle box. Like most here I’ve received a lot of rods shipped in these boxes, and so far thankfully with no major damage to the shipping box or contents. But I agree the cardboard is rather thin. For my own shipping I buy very strong square shaped shipping tubes (that can really withstand a blow) and cover them with clear packing tape for extra rigidity and reinforcement. But until now I’ve been fortunate receiving rods undamaged in the USPS triangle boxes.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

So emailed an inquiry to the USPS this am. Hopefully some clarity will surface. Fingers crossed!

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Scott is right. It's called altering the original box and compromising the integrity, and yes, they will not honor the insurance. It may not say it on the website and they may give you a different answer, but I can tell you that you won't get a dime.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I've said this before, but using 3" x 2" vinyl guttering downspout from Home depot is bar none the best material to use for longer rods. It comes in 10' lengths, is rectangular (won't roll), and some strong stuff. I cut them to size and tape a piece of cardboard on each end with fiberglass reinforced tape. I've sent piece spey rods to Norway and Japan and 2 piece rods to Australia, England, Italy and just about everywhere else with no problems.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”