8' Phillipson Powr Pakt

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

LPS2025

8' Phillipson Powr Pakt

Post by LPS2025 »

I apologize if this rod has been discussed, but I didn't see an 8' Phillopson Powr Pakt on the forum. We inherited this rod and don't currently know anything about fly fishing. This rod is a work of art and we are wondering if we should find it a new home rather than have it sitting in a storage tube. It is 8', 3 piece with an extra tip section, all sections are of equal length. It came to us in a fabric bag inside a non-descript silver metal tube. It doesn't look like it's ever been used...so we would say it's in mint condition. Any thoughts on pricing or where we could find someone who understands it's value. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

barebo
Master Guide

Re: 8' Phillipson Powr Pakt

Post by barebo »

If the rod was 100% original, I'd guess it could fetch $400.00 to possibly $500.00. I'm basing that on watching the market frequently.
The however is that it has a non-original stripping guide which is a spinning rod guide on the butt (handle) section and the guide wraps on the mid section just below the female ferrule aren't a match indicating a possible ferrule re-set or perhaps the guide was lost or damaged and replaced.
There is some varnish loss and the modifications point to it being used.
Desirable rod in a desirable length by a respected maker.

LPS2025

Post by LPS2025 »

Thanks barebo!

Does that mean the rod has been modified to only accept a spinning reel? Or just that it looks as though it has been worked on?

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Honestly, it's a mystery as to why it was modified with a guide of that type in the first place? You can of course mount a spinning reel on a fly rod as the seats and reel feet can interchange for the most part. For a rod of this caliber, I believe most serious fly fishermen or women would find that sacrilege but who is to say what an individual should or shouldn't do?
One thing I do know is that using straight monofilament on snake guides can over time groove and compromise them. There are combination spin / fly rods produced. Any potential buyer can view your photos and come to their own conclusions. I'm no "expert" by any means but know enough to be able to make observations pointing out the obvious. Hopefully, some of your questions were answered.

LPS2025

Post by LPS2025 »

Thank you for all of the info! We wish that Dad was here to explain the why's of it all. We're guessing that he bought it used. He wanted to fly fish, but never had the opportunity to become that knowledgeable in the field. So, it's all sort of a mystery to us...and we are even less knowledgeable. We appreciate your wisdom!

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Perhaps that spinning guide was the only one available locally.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Perhaps the owner wanted to use a Fre Line or Humphrey spining reel. They were quite popular during the Phillipson era. Phillipso actually made a special fly/spin rod for the, but I forget its name.

https://www.fishingtalks.com/fre-line-1 ... -3560.html

Jay Edwards

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Jay, I believe that you are thinking about the Heywood Zephyr

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ithink you are right NewUtahCaneAngler. Maybe they wre/are a 7',2pc. I have a 'knock off' by maybe Montague.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”