Is this a Philbrook & Payne, Merrill Fly Rod, weight scale in reelseat?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Is this a Philbrook & Payne, Merrill Fly Rod, weight scale in reelseat?

Post by cwfly »

Jim,
Have a safe trip to New Milford.
Mr. Howland, we learn from his wife's obituary, suddenly "dropped dead" in Big Indian, New York. That would have been in June, 1921 and the only thing in Big Indian that comes to mind is the Esopus River.
Charlie
Bridgeport Times, 2/1/1922
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

At this rate we'll have the entire history of the family. And yes, I used to fish the Esopus around Big Indian and all the spots along Rt 28 back in the 70s.
Jim

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

I've been meaning to follow up with my original post for some time, life gets in the way sometime, but here is some more info regarding the rod. After I got it from my brother I noticed a patent date on the butt ferrule, Pat.Sep.3.1878 (Pa)T.Oct.26.75 and after some research it appears to be attributed to Leonard. This sort of matches up with 2dabacking's post regarding the Durand Patent Sportsman’s Balance in the Mills and Son catalog, although I doubt it is a Leonard rod. Also, the wooden form was definitely made for the rod as you can see in the photo of the butt section. The sections measure, handle 10 1/2", butt 15 1/2" (inserted together 25"), mid section 47 3/8", tips are 46" and 45 13/16".

Another curious thing is that one of the tips is down about 1/4" but it does not appear to be repaired as the wraps look original unless it was repaired by the original maker.

My best guess was it is a custom rod made with custom parts for the owner, Mr. Howland who may have had a part in making the reel seat.

An interesting mystery.

Jim

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”