SIMMS SOLD!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

SIMMS SOLD!

Post by Hellmtflies »

SIMMS has been sold to Vista Outdoor, 192 million. Let's follow the quality of the product from here. 8o

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: SIMMS SOLD!

Post by ibookje »

Usually these sell outs means bad news…

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

Ouch, I am happy I bit the bullet when needing new waders this past spring.

On second thought had I of waited till next year I could have purchased the Camp Chef Remington “Limited Edition Collaboration” G4’s with either the charcoal or propane grill top heater core and Rem-Choke tapered rock guards.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ReelPatina wrote:
07/28/22 10:56
Ouch, I am happy I bit the bullet when needing new waders this past spring.

On second thought had I of waited till next year I could have purchased the Camp Chef Remington “Limited Edition Collaboration” G4’s with either the charcoal or propane grill top heater core and Rem-Choke tapered rock guards.
Ha! Thanx for the laugh! :)

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Interesting press release by purchasing company on longer term strategy... I hope the product line remains the same....

Ed

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Three cheers for new beginnings. Good things!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Just hope they keep US manufacturing facilities. It’s the off shore made products that have had the quality issues IMO.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

SIMMS SOLD!

Post by ibookje »

I’m expecting higher prices and many items made overseas as well for better profit margins
Last edited by ibookje on 07/29/22 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

It’ll be interesting to see what competitors like Grundens, Skwala, Patagonia, and other wader manufacturers do this fall. The National Sales Manager of Simms jumped ship and went to Grundens before the sale to Vista was announced.
Some new competition and new designs could be a good thing.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

ibookje wrote:
07/28/22 08:58
Usually these sell outs means bad news…
New owners playbook usually contains a cost cutting play to boost margins and decrease payback time on the sale price. 1st order of that business is typically outsourcing. The biggest consequence of outsourcing is degradation in product quality.

We shall see. I may need to try and suck 10 more years out of my current Simms that have 5 on them already.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I wonder what % of there business comes from waders. They have a pretty broad product line, and I have always found their stuff to be of high quality albeit pricey.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

I have used simms waders for a while, is anyone making an equally quality product for the money?

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

In answer to another maker. I have for the first time bought Dryft waders, both their waist high and chest high. I have only had them for 2 seasons, but I like them. I think they run a couple hundred less than the fully zippered Simms. They probably aren’t quite as flexible as Simms, but they are tough and the chest highs have many exterior and interior pockets. The exterior pockets do not have waterproof zippers so that is a down side. They are made in China. The reps are up in Washington State and their customer service is good. Prior to these I had 2 pairs of Simms waders and Orvis waders before these. I found that though comfortable the Simms waders tended to spring leaks and after awhile the company could not repair them. Jed
Fefferfly

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

fefferje wrote:
08/08/22 17:23
In answer to another maker. I have for the first time bought Dryft waders, both their waist high and chest high. I have only had them for 2 seasons, but I like them. I think they run a couple hundred less than the fully zippered Simms. They probably aren’t quite as flexible as Simms, but they are tough and the chest highs have many exterior and interior pockets. The exterior pockets do not have waterproof zippers so that is a down side. They are made in China. The reps are up in Washington State and their customer service is good. Prior to these I had 2 pairs of Simms waders and Orvis waders before these. I found that though comfortable the Simms waders tended to spring leaks and after awhile the company could not repair them. Jed
. Thanks jed, I will look into them.

Bud
Master Guide

SIMMS SOLD!

Post by Bud »

I’ve been using the Dryft zipper waders for several years. I am very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

I would wait a bit before concluding all is lost with Simms. Vista Outdoor operates a pretty wide range of outdoor product brands. These range from Remington, Federal and CCI ammunition, most of the reloading powder brands, the two top brands of bicycle helmets, Fox motorcycle equipment, 4 major hunting optics manufacturers, Camp Chef and Camelback. Just some of their approx 40 brands.
They seem to identify good quality stuff and acquire the maker when they come available, and continue to put out good product. If I am not mistaken most of the production stays in the US.

I have not found much of their stuff to be junk.

I live near Lewiston ID where they are the largest employer - bullets, ammo, reloading supplies etc. No one has much bad to say about them and people who work there tell me that there is an emphasis on quality.

My guess is that Simms will stay in Bozeman, continue to make good stuff, although may see more emphasis on the lower lines which will have a broader market.

SxS
Guide

Post by SxS »

in the early days the original guides were wonderful, i got many seasons out of mine and simms fixed them once and put on new booties and i got a few more seasons. then i coughed up a pretty penny for some G3s.. leaked horribly within the 1st year and they gave me nothing but grief on the warranty and blamed me for walking through brush too much.(not true they had seam issues) but i got sick of their pompous attitude and went over to patagonia after almost freezing to death up in alaska with those useless G3s and I never looked back. I got over a decade out of my original patagonias and they replaced them for free with brand new rio gallegos when i brought them in after they finally started leaking... the rio gallegos are just now starting to leak after about 7 years of hard use and i will bring them in and probably get a great deal a brand new pair.. My orvis silver sonics were replaced by the new top of the line guide waders for 40 bucks after a decade of good service.(I never leave home without two good pairs of waders!) As for simms, cry or care or worry if you want, i will never use a simms product again.. in fact, i have many choice words for simms and none of them are very polite! .02

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Simms guide waders have been consistently the best quality product for me for 25+ years. Every pair has lasted 150+ days and never had to return a single pair in that time. Hope the quality products continue under new ownership.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”