Matching Hatches For Eastern Trout

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Matching Hatches For Eastern Trout

Post by billems »

I downloaded to my Kindle Henry Ramsay's "Matching Major Eastern Hatches: New Patterns for Selective Trout." The hatches in Pennsylvania (where Ramsay resides) are similar to those we experience here in West Wisconsin and the Driftless. The book is a fine fly tying manual, with good accompanying text and photos. Ramsay ties his mayflys after the style of Vince Marinaro's thorax patterns. He modernizes them by using CDC for his winging materials. He utilizes microfibbets and superfine dubbing, as well. His spinners, nymphs and emergers look like winners to me. One aspect I am definitley going to try is to tie my trico spinners without tails. Ramsay believes--and he may be onto something--the long tails of the trike spinners can cause the fly to deflect out of the fish's mouth. The book is well written, with a lot of knowledge concerning hatches and fly patterns.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Matching Hatches For Eastern Trout

Post by GerardH »

billems wrote:
07/28/22 20:58
ne aspect I am definitley going to try is to tie my trico spinners without tails. Ramsay believes--and he may be onto something--the long tails of the trike spinners can cause the fly to deflect out of the fish's mouth.
There is definitely a school of thought that some tiers believe the microfibbet tails are much stiffer than that of a natural's and allow the trout to push the fly away from its mouth when it's trying to engulf it. They endorse either shortening up the tail length or tie tailless....I've been doing the former but may have give the latter more consideration. I hate splitting tails anyway...

I'll have to look up that book, thanks for the recommendation.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

I'll have to check that book out.

As for tricos around here, I too hated splitting microfibbets and have gone to a short bunch (4-5) of grizzly hackle. Now I might try leaving that off! I have found around here, that the fish aren't counting tails or measuring tail length. Wing size they are very picky about. Got into a great trico hatch yesterday morning.

drifly
Sport

Post by drifly »

Coq de Leon ties a much better, softer, more natural tail than micro fibbets. I found those fibbets to be way too stiff. I just can’t leave the tails off my may fly patterns. I’m not sure how the fish feel but for myself flies just don’t look right without them.

Return to “Book Talk”